Her Ring | Teen Ink

Her Ring

September 25, 2023
By 4mwalloch SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4mwalloch SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Almost three years later and it still all feels so new. I feel like I’m still the little girl who was dropped off at Grandma’s while all my older siblings were at school and my parents were at work. As if no time has passed. 


I’m young and naive, sitting on my grandma’s lap, holding her frail hand while admiring that gold shiny diamond wedding ring. To me, it was a collar that identified my grandma as mine. I could have sat and spun that ring all day, watching it glisten when the light hit it. 


She wore that ring every single day for every single thing she did. 


Every egg sandwich she made. Every joke she told. Every hug she gave. 


If that ring could talk, oh the story it would tell. 


My grandma was perfectly indescribable, but that ring does a good job of conveying her. 


When she passed, my life flipped upside down. I was devastated. 


My aunt made all of the grandkids boxes of her things. Grandma predetermined who she wanted her beloved belongings to go to. We all had our opinions or desires of who wanted what but had no clue what she had decided until we opened our boxes. 


I carefully relished every car topper, necklace, rosary, and cloth while I savored the memories of the familiar items. 


At the bottom was a little black velvet box. My heart started to race. Whatever is in this box is going to mean a lot to me. I tried to not get my hopes up of that shiny wedding ring. There are three other granddaughters and I’m the third youngest. My eyes started to pool as I tried to remain calm and unknowing. 


I lifted the box up and pulled it close to my body, shielding the spotlight of the curious eyes wondering what the box holds. I slowly opened the box and my eyes caught a glimmer of shiny gold contrasting with sparkling diamond. It’s the wedding ring. 


The pool that's been filling in my eyes floods over. 


I ever so delicately lift the ring from its box, holding it while I admire that gold shiny diamond wedding ring. 


I’ve never gotten to look at it alone, while it's not attached to her gentle hand. It feels as if it’s missing something. So, I slide it on my index finger for a perfect fit. 

 

The ring that once followed her everyone now watches over me. It’s there whenever I need her. At auditions, first date, senior pictures, first day of school, birthdays, award shows, confirmation, school dances, family occasions, and more. 


Yes, the significance of that ring is hers, but the legacy of it was chosen to live on with me. And I couldn’t be more grateful for that.


The author's comments:

This piece honors my Grandma