Getaway to the Future | Teen Ink

Getaway to the Future

By katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Let me call my mom. Can’t. Let me text my sister. Can’t. Let me look that up. Can’t. The new world moves so fast with the invention of mobile phones that it would be nearly impossible for me to live without one. Instead of an instant message to someone, I could drive to them: which would take time. I could mail a letter: which would take days. or I could wait until the next time I see them: who knows how long that would take. Hours and hours are spent on my phone every single day. Sure, I could find something else to do in my free time instead of watching TikTok all day, but there are some things on my phone that I could not live without. 

Phones are essential in the modern day world to stay updated on the latest news. Everything is held in a single 7cm by 15.7cm long screen. Amazing. This invention has evolved the world miles ahead with this new type of speed. Friends and family are now easily accessible at any time of day, from anywhere. This is so important especially for those who live far away. For me, my sister lives in New York, 930 miles away. What could be a two hour flight, 15 hour car ride, or multiple day mail delivery can now be an instantaneous message with the click of a button. 

Besides involving myself with the world, I also use my phone for the most sentimental things. Pictures. Frozen moments in time holding the utmost importance. Without these pictures, memories would fade away in my brain over time eventually to be forgotten. One of the most important things in life is cherishing time spent with loved ones. How can I truly cherish those memories if I can’t remember them? Thousands of pictures on my phone show the timeline of my life and all of the memories that I will now never forget. 

Crazy high speed internet, instant messaging with anyone, and sentimental meaning beyond words. These tiny rectangles are the gateway to the future and are owned by 90.97% of people in the world. Instead of the restricting can’t, the world has now changed it to can. Helping people everyday to navigate, communicate, and keep in touch. What more could it have?