Don’t Mistakenly Dislocate Your Sleeve | Teen Ink

Don’t Mistakenly Dislocate Your Sleeve

September 28, 2023
By 4olsonk BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4olsonk BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

It was the usual. I woke up, I got out of bed, I put on my knee sleeve- where is my knee sleeve? I always rely on my knee sleeve! It prevents my knee from slipping out! 


It all started in early seventh grade. Little me in Spanish class got to do a freestyle dance in one of the music videos. What did I choose to do? I did the floss, a popular Fortnite dance, like an idiot. After one swing, I collapsed to the ground. I tried to get up, but I couldn't, and my right knee was filled with pain. 


I looked to see what happened, and one of my bones was sticking out of the right side of my knee, not protected by its knee cap. I screamed loud as if I was on a roller coaster. My Spanish teacher joined in the chorus after seeing what happened. It took about five minutes before my math teacher rushed in with a wheelchair, and when he lifted me up, I heard a little click while I was screaming in pain. I immediately felt relief after my knee was back in place and walked down to the office to ice it. 


But that wasn’t what triggered me to wear the sleeve, no it was not. It was the second time that made me wear it ever since. Fast forward to Sophomore year, I was getting ready to dress up in green for the luckiest day of the year, St. Patrick’s Day! Oh what a lucky day that was! 


Once I fell down the stairs, I looked down at my same knee and sure enough, it was dislocated once again. Of course, my parents didn’t know how bad it was the first time since I was at school. But when they rushed over to the stairs, they freaked out, especially my mom. The ambulance was called and it was the paramedics that got my knee to click again back in place. 


The doctors didn’t know what happened since they saw me perfectly well, and my knee swole up for 2 weeks after that and I couldn’t walk. What fun! 


I look behind my windowsill to find my sleeve there. I was filled with relief once again. It might only cost tenish dollars, but that’s way better than another expensive trip to the hospital.