You Can't Live without Emotion | Teen Ink

You Can't Live without Emotion

September 30, 2023
By yoyoew BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other
yoyoew BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

       For me, this isn’t a hard topic to think about, I always believe that humans are unable to live without emotions. In other words, humans can’t live without the ability to express emotions.

       I can’t assume that human is the only specie that can sense emotions on earth. However, one thing I can tell is that: humans all around the world, ignoring the cultural differences, all live with emotions every day. Since the moment of birth, humans have been able to express their emotions. Parents might teach their children how to talk and walk, but there’s never a course called “The Fundamental of Emotional Expression of Babies”. Babies don’t have to learn how to express their emotions, they would simply cry if they felt anything is unsatisfied for them.

       As the brain starts to develop and the child starts to receive education, the forms of emotional expression start to be more diverse. Instead of simply crying or laughing, humans can be more precise about what they want to express. They can use words and phrases to express their thoughts and emotions.

       Followed by the build-up of which individual’s worldview, more ways of emotional expression may be developed. An obvious example may be the use of music. Great music pieces always contain emotional expressions inside, in other words, great musicians would put their emotions to be part of the music piece instead of just simply writing down the melody and chord to make a song. Beatles can’t be a worldwide popular band just because John Lennon and Paul McCartney look handsome and have good singing techniques. You can feel that they are really putting their emotions into their artwork.

       As a teen born in the 2000s, I’ve been experiencing a lot of technological revolutions throughout my growing experiences. Ever since I’ve formed my memories, I remember watching my mom change her phone from a small Nokia that can only text and call to an iPhone that can easily access the internet. Nowadays, AI has become one of the most popular word of discussion on the internet. People started to have conversations and debates about whether can AI take over humans in the future. I don’t really think it’s necessary because AIs do not have emotions. They would just provide the responses based on their research, however, there are multiple things that you can’t really explain nowadays. For example, discussions about philosophical topics have always been subjective. You can’t make a Socratic discussion about death with GPT4.0 because it would just provide the information in the most objective way instead of acting like someone holding their arguments and trying to prove they are correct.