Making a Difference | Teen Ink

Making a Difference

Everyone has a purpose in life, some may be different then others, some may be very similar to others, but we all have made at least one difference in life. That could be giving a big donation to orphanages or just asking a stranger how their day was. 

In my future I would like to be an actress/singer but if that doesn't work out I would like to be a writer for scripts, or just making books, but there is no point in being an actress or a singer or writer or just a normal person without trying to make a difference. You don't need to make a difference everyday, just from time to time you could do a little thing to help someone. 

The difference I am currently making is simply carrying in my neighbors groceries into her house for her. A few months ago my neighbor hurt his leg and couldn't walk his dog so I would walk his dog for him when his wife couldn't this was only a few times a week but it still made a difference because he knew that in the community there were people who were there to help him out when he needed it. 

I worked at a food bank a few months ago. All I was doing was putting cans into bags but that made a huge difference because me putting those cans into the bags allowed hungry families that don't have much, to get their food faster. Today is October 14th, I will be working at this food bank on the 18th and the 25th of October. 

I also would like to say that even if you are let's say working at a food bank like I am, you may not be noticed and it may seem like you are not being recognized for your hard work but you are. There are noticeable actions like teachers, everyone knows that they work hard to make a difference to create the next generation of geniuses or a friend helping out a friend. 

As I was writing this I was talking to this guy that I just met yesterday we started talking and he came out to me as gay and I gave him advice on how to tell his parents, he said to me after ¨thank you that helps¨ I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic so I asked him, and then he replied¨No that is from the heart I have been really nervous and that actually helps.¨ I was so happy that I could make a difference in his life and I told him he could come to me whenever and just vent, and he did.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is we all can make a difference, you just have to believe in yourself. Honestly I don't  really care if I win this contest it would be amazing but I think what I did this for was myself I learned stuff about myself. 

I figured out a lot about myself while writing this