Football Game | Teen Ink

Football Game

October 16, 2023
By dgogarc BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
dgogarc BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A beautiful, cool Friday night in Chicago. Standing in the middle of the home team bleachers, I watched the game of football unfold before my very eyes. My school, St. Ignatius, met up against Marist at Fornelli Field, which made for an intense match. I was witnessing everything, from the fans to the game. It almost didn’t feel real. My team on the offense. Nothing was going on. The crowd was relatively quiet. No team looked as if they were going to score. From out of nowhere. My friend points out how close our team was to the goal line. Everyone starts to look over as they keep getting closer and closer to us. The next play. I see the ball float over the top of the opposing team’s defense and land in the palm of a maroon-colored shirt. My eyes lit up. This sudden urge of excitement surged throughout my body. The announcer with all his heart yells for a touchdown that started a fire. The student section erupts. I see from the corner of my eye, a speaker being flung up into the air blasting music. Chills filled my body as I gazed through the madness. My mind went blank. All I could think about was celebrating this insane moment. The loud sounds made this touchdown even more special. Everyone in the crowd, jumping and screaming their heads off. I just remember looking at my friend and grabbing popcorn out of his hand and thinking about if any of this was real life. The sweet and greasy popcorn that I was munching on made the aura of the game feel like something I never experienced before. Almost like a movie. My friends in front and behind me were having the time of their lives and engulfed me in the fun. Before I knew it, I was in the midst of the pile of students that filled the section. Mashed in the middle of the standings was painful nonetheless, but it’s a feeling you’ll rarely feel again. It’s almost like you want to get out of it, but you don’t. Sweaty bodies all around you. It’s not the best feeling. I don’t think I could ever relive that hype ever again. A touchdown against an incredible team. Music blowing into your ears. Popcorn filling your mouth as you watch the chaos unfold. Screams and yells of all kinds filled the air. Crazy.


The author's comments:

I was tasked to use 2 of the 6 senses of imagery. This is about my high school team and how they won in the dying moments of the game.