Life in Color | Teen Ink

Life in Color

By katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
katieahs PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

The scene lies before me like an unreal wallpaper, painted by mother nature. The distant horizon reveals the line between air and water, as far as the eye can see. The baby blue sky ombres into the dark blue unknown of the vast ocean. White cotton candy clouds float in the sky offering their shade to the people below. Beaming sun rays wrap the outskirts of the clouds, glisten on the fine white sand crystals, and reach out to the earth as if saying “good morning!”

With each step, the sand flows gently under my feet and between my toes. The symphony of the waves crashing against the soft white shoreline creates the song of the beach. I bend down with the sight of a seashell, intricate details lining the white shell, what a wonderful creation. 

Down the beach, are lines of sand castles and fortresses of all kinds, built by the future of the earth, children. Laughter fills the air as they gallop around the beach cherishing every moment in this beautiful world. Up above, parasailers soar high up with the breeze, playfully dangling their feet from the harness. 

I close my eyes and feel my shoulders rise as my lungs fill up with the world around me. The laughter, the music, the pure joy of everyone in this picture in time. My shoulders fall and the environment exits my body, but it leaves something behind. It leaves the experiences I will cherish for the rest of my life. It leaves the images I won’t ever forget. And, it leaves me with a sense of wonder. A sense of wonder that everyone has in them, no matter the age. Imagination lives within all humans, no matter how strong. 

Imagination is what guides us through life, to experience life the way we want to experience it. This place, this moment, is a reminder that, no matter how old we are, imagination remains inside. Imagination is what adds color to our black and white picture. The world is our wallpaper, and it is up to the individual how they want to paint it.