The Slide Setback | Teen Ink

The Slide Setback

Being stupid on a playground is not a smart thing to do, and I know that from experience.

I was eight years old, and one of my really close friends was moving away soon. Of course, I did not know that yet, but that isn't very relevant. We were at her house, and it was about 3:00 in the afternoon.  

"Let's go to the park! It will be fun!" My friend Bella exclaimed. 

"Sure! That would be fun!" I responded. So, in a matter of five minutes, we convinced her brother and my sister to go with us. We walked to the park and cut through a soccer game to get over faster. As we walked, I felt the cool summer breeze rustling the tree leaves as if they knew they were bound to fall soon. As we ran over to the park, I saw that the water fountains were on and that there were kids splashing and playing. We finally got on the playground, and we played around for about an hour. Then, we went back to their house and ate dinner.  After a really yummy meal of tacos, we went back to the park. It was quieter, and finally less busy. The water fountains were off, and the kids that had been playing in it had dried off and were gone. The only people in the park were this older couple sitting on one of the many benches, and some younger couples playing tennis. I ran up the playground, and yelled down to Josiah, Bella's older brother, 

"Come on! You guys are so slow!" Soon they were racing up the playground to join me. 

"Let's do a train on the tube slide!” Emma, my sister said. So we did it a couple of times, then Emma and Bella grew bored of it. Josiah and I kept going, then I decided it would be funny to play a nasty trick on him. I climbed up to the top of the slide and got out. I started to climb up onto the top of the tube. I started to hang off of the slide, and I held on to the top of the slide. 

"Help! Guys, I'm about to fall off the slide!!!! HELP!!" I screamed at my friends. Bella and Emma ignored me, but Josiah ran straight over. Perfect! I thought. Just what I wanted! I started to pretend to slip, and Josiah just stared at me, starting to get that it was just a joke. Suddenly, I looked at what Emma and Bella were doing to see if they were getting what I was doing, I lost focus, and let go of the hard plastic slide. I saw the slide seem to grow smaller and smaller as I plummeted somewhere around fifteen feet. As the ground grew closer and closer, I saw Josiah's open mouth in shock. Then, I hit the ground.

Thankfully, I didn't black out. I cried out in pain, and my crew ran over to me. I am still unsure whether it was fortunately or unfortunately, the older lady that was part of the couple sitting on the bench, ran over (as fast as an elderly woman can run). 

"Are you okay? What happened?" She kept asking questions as my friends all ran over back to the house to get the adults as fast as possible, leaving me ALONE with the old lady. I felt very uncomfortable, and I was still lying on the ground. It seemed like an eternity before they brought the adults back over. As I waited, I noticed some things about the lady who was sitting next to me. First, she was old, but not as old as I had originally thought. Second, she had a very nice smile that made me feel as if she had children who were all grown up. Third, she was actually kind of pretty in an old lady way. My thoughts about her were interrupted as the adults came rushing over in a big group. The adults arrived with a flurry of questions, the kids in tow.

"What happened?" 

"Are you okay?" 

"Come on, let's get back to the house." 

We walked (well, seven walked, I hopped) back to the house, my arms around my sister's and Bella's shoulders. When we got inside, they propped my foot up on a stool in front of their couch and my dad looked at it. 

"I don't think it's broken or sprained," he said. 

"Go and get that ankle brace we have, Bella." Mr. Sam, her dad said. Bella ran upstairs and grabbed out an ankle brace type sock. My dad made me put it on, as well as ice which hurt since my ankle was throbbing. Bella came and sat down next to me, and we flicked on the T.V.  

My friends kept me company because I could not play anymore. A little while later, it was time to go. I hobbled out to the car, and carried one shoe. In the car, my sister said, 

"Well that just happened." We all laughed at that, and we drove home.

That day I learned that when you are stupid and try to trick your friends, things won't go as planned. You would think that I would have learned my lesson, but years later I broke my toe trying to trick people that I needed crutches.So take it from me- if you are ever thinking of playing a trick on someone, think twice before you act.

This is the story of how I fell off a really tall slide trying to trick some friends that I was going to.

nataliewilson809 SILVER, Portland, Oregon
I can't believe you did that! So funny!