Grandparents | Teen Ink

Grandparents

“Let’s race to the bathroom to brush our choppers!” My grandpa said this every morning when we finished eating our breakfast. We’d usually have a bowl of cereal or if we were feeling healthy that morning, we’d have bananas and sauce. It sounds weird but it is actually pretty good. It’s basically banana cereal. You cut up the banana, put them in a bowl, and add milk and sugar. I still eat it to this day. Sometimes I wanted to eat breakfast on the couch and watch my favorite TV shows. My grandma would always make sure I had a towel laid on my lap under the cereal bowl just in case I spilled some. My grandparents always made our morning routine so fun. Paw Paw (my grandpa) would have a song of the day every day for us to listen to while we brush our teeth. We’d also play this song on our imaginary piano at the kitchen table while eating breakfast. The song was usually an oldies song. If Paw Paw knew and liked a more modern song, he’d play those too. Sometimes he still sends me songs of the day. Just the other day, he texted me a YouTube link to the song “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars. I love being reminded of my childhood with my grandparents. I’d always feel at home whenever I was at their house. We even had our own room which we called the “cousin hotel”. My cousins from New York visit twice a year and that is the room they’d usually stay in. Whenever I’d stay home from school “sick” they would always make me feel so much better. Maw Maw (my grandma) always made sure I had pillows and blankets to keep me warm and comfy. She would give me snacks and drinks and turn on my favorite TV show. They’d have cassette tapes of movies I’d watch on the old TV in the “cousin hotel” like Cinderella or The Jungle Book. Maw Maw would make me Lipton noodle soup and give me a cup with crushed ice cubes if I ever had a bad stomach ache to make me feel better. Seeing the joy that taking care of my brother and I brought to my grandparents genuinely brings a smile to my face. I may have taken them for granted and not appreciated them when I was younger but looking back now, I see how much of an impact they made not just on my childhood but my whole life. To this day, my grandparents still help me in so many different ways. When I didn’t have my license, Maw Maw would take me to school every morning and pick me up every afternoon. Paw Paw helps me manage my money and is helping me save up for college. I also love to just go over to their house and hangout with them. It's always a nice time when I’m over there. I’m so unbelievably grateful for them and each and every thing they do for my brother, my mom, and I. I have so much love for them and I always will.