A Letter to my Future Self | Teen Ink

A Letter to my Future Self

By On_A_Journey SILVER, Sparks, Nevada
On_A_Journey SILVER, Sparks, Nevada

Not all those who wander are lost- J.R.R Tolkien

Dear Future Self,

Hello to myself! What are things like in the future? What is your life like? Have you made it? Are you a published author yet? If you are, then good job. And if you’re not, well…I’m sure you’ll get there someday. If you are, and all your dreams have been realized, and all you wish for comes to pass, then I hope that you don’t forget about what’s important in life, and all the people who helped you get where you are now. What did you do when you got your first rejection letter from a literary agent? I hope you laughed. I hope you smiled to yourself and thought, hey, I’m here, where so many other authors have been. Only a dozen or a hundred more until I’m there, until I’ve made it.

Remember that there will be hardships in your life, but you will get through them. You are stronger than anything life can throw your way. So keep your head up. Keep going, even when it’s hard. Things will get easier.

Funny, how you know me, but I will never know you. By the time I meet you, I’ll be you.

Do you remember what it was like to be fourteen? That feeling that nothing was quite out of reach? That feeling that anything was possible? That all your dreams would be realities one day? Perhaps you need that confidence now. So remember what it was like, and hold onto that. 

I wonder where you ended up. I hope you’re doing well. I hope you’re successful, and happy. But don’t forget. Don’t forget what a wonderful life you’ve had, what an amazing story yours is. Don’t forget about me. I’ll always be with you, in a way, a part of your past. So remember me.

Sincerely,

Your fourteen year old self.