A Case for Cultural Studies | Teen Ink

A Case for Cultural Studies

By enzo_frazz BRONZE, Manhattan, New York
enzo_frazz BRONZE, Manhattan, New York

The vibrant red posters with large characters and the hanging lanterns just within the Chinese classroom at my school entranced me. I was only eight years old, and my mom had placed me in Spanish class for my language. However, every time my friends would talk about what they learned in Mandarin class, I desperately wanted to join them.
            In 4th grade, I begged my parents to switch me from Spanish classes to Mandarin. I was immediately struck by how different Mandarin was from English and Spanish. Not only was the writing different with the many radicals twisting and turning into complex characters with meaning, but speaking it also was different. Just one mispronunciation could change the word for ‘face mask’ into something…less favorable. My background in singing opera helped considerably with my pronunciation, as speaking Mandarin was sort of like singing- the pitch and tone of the words you say change the meaning.
 The more I studied Mandarin, the more that I became interested in Chinese culture. I engrossed myself in various means of education, participating in online courses and reading books. I even arranging every other class of my Mandarin tutoring to focus on Chinese history and culture rather than just the language. From Confucianism to Taoism, cruel emperors like Qin Shi Huang to kind ones like Hongzhi, and from feudal emperors to communist parties, Chinese history brought vibrance to learning the language. 
            Learning Chinese history not only brought depth to my study of the language, but it also helped contextualize current world events. Many Americans criticize China’s strong centralized government. However, this is born from China’s ancient history which was comprised of many different feuding [EB2] cultures and ideologies in Chinese history. In order to establish a strong, modern China, it was important to establish one strong, unified government. This can also be seen with the prevalence of sexism in modern Chinese society. In ancient times, a woman marrying a man was seen as her ‘leaving’ her family for a man, while a man marrying a woman was seen as the man ‘adding’ to his family tree. This historical context can explain for why, especially in rural areas, sons are typically more desired than daughters. Though these are just a few examples, there are so many instances of the history of China reflecting its current climate.
Cultural studies don’t just teach about random events hundreds of years ago, rather they give us an insight into the reasons why a country is the way it is today. In our globalized world of constant changes and politics, it is imperative that we understand the history of different countries and cultures to avoid ignorance. By learning about the history of a nation, we can relate and understand the people and policies that compose it today.
            It is easy to make assumptions to bridge a gap in knowledge about a culture that is different than our own. However, to create a more equitable and empathetic world, we must be open to understanding a different way of life. By doing so, we can bridge misunderstandings and ignorance, both small and large, between individuals and governments. Not only can we do so by identifying and accepting our differences, but also by recognizing the many similarities that we share. I encourage you to take an online course, crack open a book, and learn as much as you can; for only by doing so can you be part of the solution.