Leave Ancient Footprints On The World | Teen Ink

Leave Ancient Footprints On The World

By adastraabextra GOLD, Moonstone, California
adastraabextra GOLD, Moonstone, California

Leave your mark on the world.
Yesterday, I was looking through old books from the early 1900’s. The pages looked so old. I read diaries from people who had passed decades ago. I wondered, what exactly we’re their lives like? Where were they, and what were they doing at that very moment they put those words onto the paper? Did they plan on someone in the future reading their innermost thoughts?
It made me think.
I want to leave my print behind after I leave. I want to leave my thoughtless words smeared in ink across the pages. Maybe I will hide my mind under the floorboards. Eventually, someone will have to discover it. Most likely many years after I part. But that person who picks up that book and starts turning those pages, will know me better than anybody I actually knew in my life. A complete stranger, knowing my every feeling, thought, and belief. They will follow my every entry, possibly as I am experiencing them myself.
Do you suspect the future for you may be the present for another?
A more precise form of history than any school book you know. The best way to learn about the past. You won’t just know the chosen facts of what occurred. You get to read about a person who was actually there. The book you hold in your hands, was there as well. You get to see what this person’s life was like, how they thought, and acted. You get to read about all that they did. Maybe even getting to know them better than they ever knew themselves.
A scary thought.
An entire life..held in you very hands.
If you think about it, it’s a very powerful thing. If it weren’t for the past pages filled with so much life, we may have never known a future. Don’t forget, even though the past is in the past, if it weren’t for it, we wouldn’t have our world as it is now.
I am thankful, and intrigued.
Books will always come to an end, but where one leaves off, another begins.
Both a beginning and an end lay in your own two hands, that’s a guarantee. But it’s up to you to decide what fills the pages in between. You choose each step of your own adventure.
Share your journey with those who wonder.