Straight Talk | Teen Ink

Straight Talk

By Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

It may take a village to raise a child, but it took a family of 5 to raise me. My mom, dad, sister, and brother have raised me since I was born and are still raising me to this day. Even though I am eighteen years old, there is still knowledge needed from my family.

Since I was little, my sister has been at my side. Growing up with me, playing princesses with me and getting into trouble with me. She taught me how to share and that I can’t constantly get my way. Whether she was teaching it to me by making me the nefarious witch while she was snow white, or by sharing the last Popsicle with me, she was educating me.

Though my brother and I are 7 years apart, he has been a teacher for me as well. Despite the fact that he viewed my sister and me as vexatious, he tolerated us and gave us someone to look up to. My parents, however, would say he wasn’t the best role model. That doesn’t matter. To me he was still my big brother and he taught me in ways which my sister and parents could not. He was not the son with the best ineffectual behavior, but he has used his mistakes as life lessons I will not forget.

When my dad was out of town for work and my siblings were busy with their own lives, my mother was there. She tried her best to make the nights fun for me when my sister went to sleepovers with her friends. She has taught me patience and graciousness for what I get in life. Although we butt heads most of the time and on certain days I think she has a malady of some sort, there is no one I have learned more from. When I go through troubles too big for me to take on alone she is there. She knows me well enough that she can pin point something is wrong without scrutinizing me. She has made me accepting of others and understanding that I am not habitually right.

My dad should be called the peace maker. He is the one in the middle of the family arguments resolving the situations through amicable discussions and venting sessions. I get along with him as if he were more than just my dad, but one of my best friends. I know to go to him for help when I need astute ideas for school projects or need advice. I have viewed him as hardworking, dedicated, and loving since I was young and he is still the same person today. He is my biggest advocator in the decisions I make and will be behind me with my choices. Even when I am 90 years old I will still be his little girl.

This is how my family has molded me into the 18 year old woman I am today. I would not solicit another family if I could. They have shaped me and will continue shaping who I will be for the future.