My Love Affair with Fashion Magazines | Teen Ink

My Love Affair with Fashion Magazines

By BroadwayBaby92 GOLD, Punta Gorda, Florida
BroadwayBaby92 GOLD, Punta Gorda, Florida

"Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore."
— Lady Gaga

As I meander through the endless isles of the supermarket, my ever-shifting eyes are caught by the glitter and gleam of one-hundred, or so, magazines lining the cold, metal racks. My arms quickly reach out to snatch up the latest issue of Elle, of which pop star Britney and sons grace the cover. As my eyes quickly scan over the endless pages of Louis Vuitton fall campaign ads featuring Madonna and Longchamp spreads epitomizing Kate Moss, my heart can’t but help to quicken its pace. The feel of the cool, glossy pages which crinkle with an entrancing sound as they glide between my French-manicured fingers. And the shoes! Oh, the shoes! I seem to turn the slightest shade of sea-foam green with envy as I stare at the likes of Prada, Jimmy Choo, and Steve Madden. What would I do to just grasp these delicate beauties in my hands for only a moment! To feel the chocolate suede and fine Italian leather only true fashion enthusiasts could produce.
In the words of famous fashion stylist Rachel Zoe, “I die” when viewing the new insanely creative and beautifully thought out fashion spreads in Vogue. Which, for some reason, convinces me that I cannot exist any longer without owning faux-chinchilla Louis Vuitton earmuffs, though I live under the sweltering heat of the Florida sun.
What gets me going more are the fairytale/fantasy-themed fashion stories, often featuring the crème de la crème of celebrity A-list society. Lady gaga posing as the witch from Hansel and Gretel as she stands atop a kitchen table, with frizzy blonde tresses, blue crumpled gown, and wooden spoon in hand, bring me more! Drew Barrymore’s underwater shoot for one of the many Spring issues of Elle, as her crimson-colored gown floats around her like a fan of opulence, is only the beginning.
My mother yells at me from the check-out counter to hurry up before she’s done paying.
I try to peel myself away but my eyes catch a baby blue Marc Jacobs bag from his Spring collection and, once again, I’m gone. On to the next page and the next page and the next page before I realize my mother already has all of the groceries in her cart and she’s halfway out the store. I reluctantly place my shiny booklet of fashion fantasies back on the shelf. But not without quickly scanning through the punk-rock themed spread featuring Gossip Girl’s Taylor Momsen before dashing out the door.

This was so good! I can definately relate-- fashion magazines are so enticing!

emilysbreakfast GOLD, Alto, Michigan
my life exactly. i loved the hansel and gretel spread (it was vogue right?). Oh one day, the shoes i will own...