What Is Growing Up? | Teen Ink

What Is Growing Up?

February 18, 2010
By WriteForLove GOLD, New Iberia, Louisiana
WriteForLove GOLD, New Iberia, Louisiana
13 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live."


What is growing up? When you hit a growth spurt and suddenly you're 5' 7"? When you move up a grade in school? When you get your first kiss? When you think you're in love? When you make a new best friend? What is growing up?  

Sometimes as a teenager, everything just goes wrong. You're worried about the way you look. You're not sure who you are. Everything is so confusing. Your heart gets broken. You have to break hearts. Friends decieve you. You don't know who to trust. Suddenly, there's all this responsibility before you. You get insecurities. Some people don't like you. You're trying to figure everything out and you think you know it all. Parents are constantly bugging you. Everyone's telling you to grow up. And you're expected to just deal with it all. 

But at some point, I think we all have to learn to let go. And when the way you look isn't your number one priority. And you're happy with the person you are. When you learn broken hearts aren't the end and friends aren't always true. When you finally figure out who to trust. When the responsibility becomes a priority. When you forget your insecurities every now and then and just have fun. When you learn that popularity isn't everything. When you understand that you're still learning everyday and you know nowhere near everything. When you know your parents mean well. When you know it'll all be okay....

That's growing up.