The Definition of Love | Teen Ink

The Definition of Love

March 7, 2010
By soletmar BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York
soletmar BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York
3 articles 24 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you wanna be a dancer dance/ In you wanna be a miner mine/ If you wanna dress like somebody else/ Fine fine fine/ Cause what the hell is wrong with expressing yourself/ And trying to be free?"
Draco: "You know they don't have dances at pigfarts."


What is love? Love is something that is really not very easy to describe. Technically, it could be said that love is just a crazy jab of hormones when your brain sees specific traits that stimulate it. It's like how red food makes you hungry, or blue makes you want to run away screaming from the food in front of you. Scientifically, there are a lot of things that can be said to make you sum up the meaning of something. Why does everything need a definition? Love is a feeling, an action, an adjective, and sometimes even a name. But what does it mean to love someone? It means to put them in front of everyone else, to feel like only half a part without someone else. Without love, this world would basically be the middle of a donut, empty. There is love for your sister, your pet, your teacher, your grandchildren, your best friend, your stuffed lamb, that ugly wall paper that's been up on your wall since you've been little. There's no possible way of saying what love is for everyone. For me it's knowing that there will always be someone there for you that loves you even in your ugly sweats. It's nice to know that there are people out there that, even though we mightn't always get along, that will hug me, console me, say I look great even though I have no makeup on and just sunk in the mud. The type of people that you do stupid things with, laugh with you, and will be there to pick you up from the airport. Ask the little girl who runs through a hallway to swing into the arms of her father, the old couple who met again after 50 years, the young ones, the old woman with her pet bird, and those two best friends laughing in a corner. They will all tell you that they know what love is, and it isn't a definition.