Lint: Little Pieces of Thread or Fluff; Scraps of a Childhood Memory | Teen Ink

Lint: Little Pieces of Thread or Fluff; Scraps of a Childhood Memory

March 2, 2010
By DanielleZ DIAMOND, Rochester Hills, Michigan
DanielleZ DIAMOND, Rochester Hills, Michigan
83 articles 16 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do what you like and like what you do.


I was propelled into the air, vaguely knowing where I was going. Suddenly I was plopped on a rough seat that seemed to be floating in mid-air. I glanced around and noticed I was on a long brown bench. My legs were spread apart and the seat was hard and bumpy. The large brown bench went through my legs; I've never sat on a bench like this before. It was attached to a metal stick a little ways away. I then noticed there were a bunch of the same benches all attached to the center metal stick, somewhat like the spokes of a wheel. All the benches were different colors but all dark or neutral colors, like the ones I see in the park. There was brown, black, and a mix of brown and white throughout the benches. The area had a sharp smell that mingled with grass. It was bad at first, but as I got used to it, it was okay. Then a loud bell rang once and the benches started moving in a circle. I was frightened; I might've fell off any minute. It was like a carousel except I didn’t move very far up or down. My grandma and aunt were somewhere among the crowd of people surrounding the carousel-like thing. I heard someone yell, "Hold on!" I looked around me and directly in front of me was a brown handle with a flat top. I grasped it, but wasn’t sure how to hold onto it correctly. The bench was moving fairly fast and I heard many yelps and screams from the other kids on the benches. It was a bumpy ride, I kept moving slightly in every direction. I looked down the side of the bench and saw the bench legs were moving. The legs had black, shiny shoes that hit the ground with a hard thump. At the top of the bench, there was a big, oval-shaped blob that had no distinct features. It had two black dots on both sides, and two wide holes near the bottom. There were also two triangular shapes at the top that twitched at every noise made. Then the bench made a sound that I make a lot when I'm bored. I looked to the other benches and it dawned on me. They were horses! I was riding on a horse! Before I could wallow in my achievement, another bell rang twice and the horse stopped moving. My aunt came and took me down from the horse. I looked to her and exclaimed with a smile, "I rode on a horse!"
Memories are the scent of the wind, the baby blanket on a bed, the crackling of a bonfire, the banana smoothie on a desk, and the trees in a backyard. Each event one encounters either brings back an old memory or implants a new memory. "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory. There seems something more speakingly incomprehensible in the powers, the failures, the inequalities of memory, than in any other of our intelligences." –Jane Austen