Hospital Corners | Teen Ink

Hospital Corners

By kpayy5 PLATINUM, Nantucket, Massachusetts
kpayy5 PLATINUM, Nantucket, Massachusetts

I had to come back to see you again, against my orders, and no matter how much my heart tugged, no matter how much it tried to pull me back to the door, I ignored its pounding and put my hand on the cold, steel handle.

The heavy door swung and hit me on the back when I came in, because I had frozen in your eyes, cold and bleak, closing in on mine. They were light and a perfect contrast to my dark ones. Your white, fair skin was a perfect contradiction to my more noticeably darker complexion. But it does me no good, for I am not able to hide from your wrath; because I am so unmistakable around you.
I tried to walk away, but sheer will compelled me to finish what I had started. So down the halls I went, with you all around me, haunting me…
The walls started closing in, and my breathing sped up. The familiar scent of you wafted through my nose, and stung my eyes and skin like a thousand pin-point syringes sticking me at the same time. I grabbed the wall for support but fell to the ground instead.
My head fell into my hands, and I hyperventilated and shook, feeling the cold sweat of discernible realization hit me square in the temples like the beating of a timpani drum.
I had to come back to see you just once more. I promised never again would I show my face here, where you could so clearly, so easily, swallow me hole. No matter how much I tried to go back to the door, my muscles would not listen could not hear me over the screaming that made the windows cave in.