Trying to fly but my wings are too short | Teen Ink

Trying to fly but my wings are too short

June 5, 2010
By DreamWriter17 PLATINUM, Marengo, Indiana
DreamWriter17 PLATINUM, Marengo, Indiana
34 articles 1 photo 682 comments

Favorite Quote:
learn from your past to live for the future.


Dear you,
Well, the first mistake I made was actually telling you I liked you. Yeah, crazy, right? You didn't need to hear that from me, not at the time, and I didn't need to hear your rejection. But, hey, I thought it was wise to get it off my chest. My mistake. All of a sudden, we're sharing love-lives, and you like someone else. When did this happen? Oh well, I suppose I believe you, since you look at her every time she passes by. Respectful, right? But, hey, no worries, it was my mistake. You're still my best friend. You're still the greatest guy in the world. And I still love you. Maybe THAT was my first mistake?

Dear you,
Thank you for talking to me the first day of school, but I don't need your charity case anymore. I have friends, and you're not one of them. You have your own. Frankly, we're not really in the same social circles, and a lot of people don't like you. I won't say that to your face, but a lot of people would. And, no, my getting a higher grade average than you was not a mistake. Neither does it mean I'm smarter than you or the other way around. I'm just me, and I did better than you. Face it. I don't need to hear your life story anymore. I'm not your psychiatrist. Goodbye.

Dear you,
I think at one point I liked you. Not an emotional thing, a physical thing. You were cute, you were funny, you were cool. But we never talked, we never spoke to each other, and we barely even nodded at each other when we passed. That was at the beginning. Now that we've shared a class period and there was no one for you to talk to, I've found out more about you, and we're somewhat friends, I guess. I'd like to say that you think as deeply of our relationship as I do, but that's not true, and never will be. But that's life. Now, though, that I've found out what you've been hiding, I'm torn. I care about you, surely you must know, but...what do I do now?

Dear you,
You're the only one who has not betrayed me in some way, shape, or form. You're my best friend, my soul sister, and I love you. I hope it stays that way. Never mind that you hate my other best friend, and he hates you. That's alright. I hope there is never a choice between the two of you, because if there were, I would probably choose him. Then he would blow me off and I would come to you. I'm probably not the best of friends to you, but you are to me. That's why that'll never happen. I hope you understand. You're my best friend. All this other crud about life will bounce off.

Love,
Me


The author's comments:
My friends, or past friends, or I don't know. What I won't say to your face.