A Letter to Patrick | Teen Ink

A Letter to Patrick

December 2, 2010
By KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.


Dear Patrick,


I remember you more than you probably think. We go pretty far back don’t we? I remember those days in elementary school when you were a goofy little kid. I remember you, in those days, the same as you are now, just bigger. You always seemed kind of shy, yet extremely friendly at the same time. I could see the fear and thought in your eyes when you wanted to approach someone. I love the fact that you would always include yourself in things when you felt forgotten. I love the fact that you would always approach the people that looked lonely. I love the fact that you never said an unkind word to anyone. To me, your soul is as pure as they come. I remember those days on the bus that I would be sitting by myself. I felt lonely, unwanted, and embarrassed that I did not have even one friend to aimlessly chatter with. I’m sure you had some friends on the bus you would have rather talked to than me. You could have not noticed me and sat with the people you really wanted, but you didn’t. You sat with me. I don’t know for sure why you did it, but I think it was just because you are the kindest person I have ever met.


Your kindness and generosity I feel is everlasting, but it isn’t the only thing that makes the Patrick we know and love who he is. I have one particular memory of you that always makes me laugh. When your hearing aid would run out of power, you would run around the class searching for batteries. Maybe, it isn’t very funny to anyone else, but it is something I hold onto. It’s sad what happened. I can’t believe only two days ago you were here at school among us, just living your daily life. I can’t believe just two days ago you died. I never thought you would die at such a young age, especially of a heart attack no less. I think your heart just got tired from all of the love and kindness it has been giving out your entire life.


Everyone really misses you, and I hope you know that. I hope you always feel wanted and loved because you certainly are. I can see how much your family loves and appreciates you, and they always will. I’m sure I’m not the only one that wishes that I had shown you more appreciation. You have taught me a valuable lesson, appreciate who you have while they are still here, and let them know how much you appreciate them. I hope I can someday share all of this with you, in Heaven, because if there is a Heaven I know you defiantly made it there. We will never stopping missing you.

Sincerely,
Kelly


The author's comments:
I wrote this after a boy named Patrick died at my school of a heart attack. R.I.P Patrick <3