How I Have Come to Hate the Rain (and maybe even Christmas) | Teen Ink

How I Have Come to Hate the Rain (and maybe even Christmas)

December 26, 2010
By Jayde_Marie_95 GOLD, Los Banos, California
Jayde_Marie_95 GOLD, Los Banos, California
10 articles 0 photos 16 comments

In this article, I will explain to you my dear readers, how I have come to hate the rain-- and maybe even Christmas.

Well this Christmas was pretty okay. I mean, I did get a few presents and they were pretty cool, but there was one thing I was missing—my dad. A few years back my parents split, and up until this year my sister and I got to spend the day with him on Christmas. This year was different. He got a girlfriend in the spring and they were together for a while, then they split, which I didn’t really care. Now all of a sudden they are back together. I guess I’m not really being fair by not getting to know her better, heck, I never even bothered to remember her name.

Let me get back onto the subject—Christmas. What should have been a day of joy and love was a day of sadness and bitterness for me. I had to go with my mom and sister to a town about forty-five minutes away to spend the afternoon with a friend of my mom’s—in the pouring rain. I know what you’re probably thinking: “Why are those crazy people outside in the pouring rain,” but we weren’t out in the rain, it was just raining. Then I hear from my sister that my dad’s back with his girlfriend, and they just happen to be in the town we are in at the same time. So when we finally leave my mom’s friend’s place, we meet him outside this gas station convenience store—in the pouring rain.

So to bring you up to speed if you have gotten lost in this craziness I call and article: I spent five minutes under the overhang of a convenience store with my dad, his girlfriend and my sister while he opened his presents—in the pouring rain. Not only did I not get to spend the whole day with my dad—I had just assumed he was sick or something—but then I learn it’s because he’d rather spend it with some chick! I mean I should have expected something like this; he had a rotten father, who ran out on him when he was young, so I was just going to assume it ran in the family, but I had wanted so much for him to be different and I just let myself down.

After that we said our goodbyes, and my sister and I left with my mom; all the while I was trying so hard not to let the disappointment and hurt show on my face. And this my dear readers, is how I have come to hate rain, and maybe even Christmas.


The author's comments:
This article may seem hard to believe as real to some, but I assure you, this happened to me-- and I, unfortunately, will never forget it.