A Nightmare Come True | Teen Ink

A Nightmare Come True

The school year was almost over, only half days were left. Mother dropped me off at my best friend’s house and drove off to work. I swam in the pool, played softball, drank pink lemonade, and ate a tuna fish sandwich. Yep, I was just playing with my friend. But what started out as an ordinary day would soon become the second worst nightmare of my life.

As my eleven year old friend played “camping” with me, we got into a fight. This was normal for us and we went inside away from each other: she in her room and I in the living room.

Now, every time my friend, and I got together, we had a fight. Every time we had a fight, her stepfather would take me aside and talk with me about my friendship with his stepdaughter.

After our fight, he came up to me and started leading me to an empty room. I thought Oh, great, another one of his famous talks. When we got to the room, he closed the door. I was a little alarmed at first because he had never closed the door before, but assumed he wanted to talk in private as always and shrugged off the crazy notion.

As he talked to me about my friendship with his stepdaughter, he walked closer and closer. He kept talking in hopes that I wouldn’t notice his hands slipping under my shirt and rubbing my back.

His forceful and vulgar movements of his hands were no match for this eleven year old. I tried and tried to reach the door, but the more I tried, the more scared I became of him.

Finally, he was distracted from me by a noise outside and I ran away praying he wouldn’t follow. I locked the door of my friend's room and cried as I waited for the door to give way to his violent blows.

FirstSteps5000 SILVER, Bethesda, Maryland

"If you reach for the stars, you'll just get the stars. Reach for the heavens and you get the stars thrown in." - unknown
"These aren't just stories,"... …"They're whole kingdoms. They're worlds. They're perspectives and opinions you can't offer, from lives you haven't lived." - The Isle of the Lost
"When someone does something hurtful, they have to admit it... [t]hen they have to be punished for it. And maybe then, if they apologize and change, maybe -maybe- *then* they get forgiven." - The One and Only Bob

That must have been so scary. You did the right thing by getting away as soon as possible.

Lovely_Me BRONZE, El Monte, California

There is nothing to fear in Life it is only to be understood.

This was brave to write about. Is there more?