The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

I love this. I feel how you do..I sometimes feel tempted to wear those somewhat skimpy clothes, and sometimes I have but I just end up feeling uncomfortable. Don't bu upset for being comfortable and you..many people like you for that. And if some people don't then they miss out on knowing someone as honest out of the crowd as you.

Katie_Potatie PLATINUM, Leavenworth, Kansas

There are no regrets in my life; because there is no time for mistakes. -(ME) Katie quote

I connected immeidiatly. I've been there my WHOLE life. Just 2 years ago was my turning point. I'm a sophomore now and way different, but i cried in many of dressing rooms and I feel the pain. This is beautiful and I hope you never stop writing. =)

Annika-Katryn SILVER, Fredericksburg, Virginia

"Thou art my life, my love, my heart,
The very eyes of me:
And hast command of every part
To live and die for thee."
-Robert Herrick

your story was beautiful, as you, yourself, are beautiful. thank you for being who you are, and for sharing you with us.

MercyChristine GOLD, Oak Grove, Minnesota

oh shnykeis!

I know exactly how you feel- i feel uncomfortable in immodest clothing.  Way to go girl for staying true to yourself!

WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Very evocative. I love it.

BrandieTamerian BRONZE, Oak Park, Michigan
powerful! i really love this! It's deep yet easy to relate to, and i love this piece!!!

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I NEVER dress like that, but I see people every day who do. Personally, I think the bravest people are the ones who have the dignity not to put themselves out there like that all the time. Great writing!!

pmkenzie said...
pmkenzie, ,, Other

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love." - Professor A. Dumbledore

LOVEEEEEE.!

MercedesXO DIAMOND, South Easton, Massachusetts

"I realize that life is risks. It's acknowledging the past but looking forward. It's taking chances that we will make mistakes but believeing we all deserve to be forgiven."
-The Dead Tossed Waves.

i love this.

Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut

Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

This story was true to heart, that clothes don't change who you are, that you will always show underneath glam and makeup and clothes. Great work! 

sarap611 BRONZE, Winslow, Maine
Finally! Someone who sees wearing clothes the way I do! I am the same way and have the same beliefs about modesty. Your story is touching, I can relate 100%. Keep writing!

cassidyasalways BRONZE, El Paso, Texas

"Be the best that you can be, and that will always be good enough"

Wow, this was so touching.. But more power to you girl! You don't need clothes to tell you who you are. And now you may be a dork, but later in life when people are still consumong their time with things that don't matter (like clothes) you'll be out in the world really making a difference. Don't let the world get you down(:

Lilliterra said...
That's my name too! I also have an article that I hope someone will check out. I like this article, I totally know what you mean. People say I have no fashion sense, but fashion just isn't really my thing.

brunett97 GOLD said...
brunett97 GOLD, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

never give up until you are happy with the ending.

hey!  i love your name. its awesome. my name is the same and i love it. your article is super. can you check mine out people? i need another girls opinion  :)

soletmar BRONZE, Dobbs Ferry, New York

"If you wanna be a dancer dance/ In you wanna be a miner mine/ If you wanna dress like somebody else/ Fine fine fine/ Cause what the hell is wrong with expressing yourself/ And trying to be free?"
Draco: "You know they don't have dances at pigfarts."

honestly, i applaud you. seriously. its amazing that you have the courage to admit this to yourself. i am a strong believer that clothing is an expression of yourself. and yeah, some of my skirts are a bit short, but to me its just comfortable, and its not like trashy. however you feel yourself is how your clothing should be.

Fieldsofwind GOLD, Thousand Oaks, California

Here we are in chemistry class. There's no chemistry in this room, though.....it's an all-girls school and no one's brave enough to be lesbian.

It's always exciting to do something unexpected, but only if you're doing it for the right reasons. There's no need to change yourself to look cooler, so that boys will ask you out, so that you'll attract looks. Your talent alone is stunning, and enough to prompt someone like me [though I'm a girl] to crush on you. You have to believe that you're beautiful enough just as yourself [which sounds incredibly cliche, but is still true] to be worthy of love. I understand where you're coming from perfectly. I am terribly awkward socially and extremely frightened of people because I want so desperately to be liked. This is a great lesson to learn, but I'm sure you looked great in the skirt anyways. It's just that if you want an article of clothing to make you more appealing to the world, you're looking for the wrong thing. *pats on the head* Props for a lovely experience.

HOPEfully SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina

My Cinderella. She is real. She exists. I pray for her constantly. May God satisfy the desires of her heart, draw her close, consume her. May He claim her passions, her identity, her refuge, her hopes, her strengths and weaknesses -Adam Young

you made a great desicision that lots of girls face, and you got an amazing story out of it. I love it!

SunRae BRONZE said...
SunRae BRONZE, Mill Creek, Washington

"Just be yourself, everyone else is taken"

i think that everyone can relate to this story in their own way. great job!

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

Silence screams too honestly and loudly.
-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four.
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2
"What a drag it was to be limited by reality."

All i can say is WOW! (that's a good thing!)

HelloLove said...
HelloLove, Dexter, Michigan

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at.
-Hatter
Tut, tut, child! Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
-Dutchess

I couldn't have written it any better. :) It's like a strong connection between me and this story. Absolutely astounding!