The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

Wonderfull! It's way easier just to be yourself and be happy with yourself, isn't it? By the way, buying the skirt wouldn't have changed anything. I know. I used to dress conservatively, as your parents would say, but that was just out of low self esteem. One day, I went ahead and bought a pair of short shorts even though I thought my legs were too fat. Now, I still wear shorts and I love my body, but I digress. That was I change I made for myself. The most I got from everyone else was, "You rock those shorts!" and then everybody stopped caring the next day. So, all the skirt would have done for you was make you feel like your soul had just been sold. Life would not have been infinately better. In truth, if you want to change your wardrobe, do it for yourself and nobody else.

Sayuri97 GOLD said...
Sayuri97 GOLD, Gilford, New Hampshire
Go geekiness!!! :) 

GaelicC said...
GaelicC, Longford, Other

No -Rosa Parks

Its so much easier being yourself rather than someone your not. I love this five stars!

Express-- PLATINUM, River Vale, New Jersey

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

-John Lennon

I can completely relate! Written impeccably!

M-star BRONZE said...
M-star BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan

"Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you."- Richard Brinsley Sheridan

Amazing! This definitely has the power to reach people. Great job!

Delictious GOLD, Lubbock, Texas

"I would like to be remembered as a woman who did the best she could with the talent she had."

I am the same way! I am pretty modest in clothing, like I wear shorts and stuff, but where I get my trouble is I don't wear make-up or perfume or even have my ears pierced.

I've gotten a lot of crap for this too! It's my choice if I want to be a high schooler who doesn't wear make-up, not my fault that most everyone else does. And people think I'm scared to get my ear pierced, when in reality, I just don't see the point. I hate getting, not "bullied" really, but criticized for how I like too be.

And I'm sick of dudes who say, "Oh we like girls with little, or even better no make-up and don't flirt and are down to earth." Then they go out/like that exact girl... It's made me almost compromise WHAT I want. But I'm not going too, no way(:

LifeWrite PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
I agree with you COMPLETELY and it's awesome that you're a guy and you can still understand the things that many girls go through--it says a lot about who you are!

meganwagner21 PLATINUM, Old Bridge, New Jersey

"Sometimes good things have to fall apart so better things can fall together." -Marilyn Monroe
"Nobody can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -Maria Robinson

wow. this piece, short as it is, has more meaning than most long pieces of writing ive read. fantastic job.

Anerio_Deorma BRONZE, NULL, Washington

NULL

I'm a guy, though I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. Society these days is mostly focused on the owtward appearance and, I believe that we as a race have no right to condemn someone to a life of solitude just because they are a geek, or the yplay YU-GI-OH in the morning before school. I swear if ANYONE replies to this post in a bullying manner...heh....heh...heh...

...heh....

hallie523 said...
hallie523, Seattle, Washington
I used to really care about how I looked and stuff, but then I realized that it's not important to me and I don't want to be liked more for the clothes I wear. I had a similar moment to you when I looked back at my school photo. My hair was straightened and I was wearing makeup and thought, 'that's not me.'

hallie523 said...
hallie523, Seattle, Washington
Perfect! I wish that more people thought like you.

ekoorbsevoluoy BRONZE, Nashville, Tennessee

" You know my head's too soft and my lifes to hard."

"We're all a little broken. We're all a little twisted. We're all less than we could be or want to be. "

"a good woman will pick you apart
a box full of suggestions for your possible heart
and you may be offended. and you may be afraid
but don't walk away, don't walk away"

I love it! I'm glad you decided not to change yourself1

bookwormjunkie, Dallas, Texas

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!?!
or
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know how you feel!!i dont want people staring at my body parts instead of aknowledging my abilites like my writng.being yourself and your personality should come first before anything else.

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

Yeah... I've made the best friends anyone could ask for. So... I refuse to change (:

Come-n-Gone GOLD, Unionville, Missouri

Isn't it funny how it only takes a few seconds to say hi, but forever to say goodbye?

stay that way. it's better to be your nerdy and modest self than be a fake wannabe that wants friends. real friends are the ones who except you for you, not for your looks.

Come-n-Gone GOLD, Unionville, Missouri

yeah they are so fake. the real them is a scared girl covered in five gallons of make up and overly tanned skin. you may look dorky but on the inside you shine like the sun.

tarynpie BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I love the ending! We all have that moment when we look in the mirror and have to decide if we can accept what we are, or change ourselves to benefit others. The people who decide to change themsleves are taking the wrong path and it's sad to say that they will be living a lie and insecurity but may never notice it. It's so much more fun just accepting who you are because then that's is when you can truly be happy!

dia.dreamer GOLD, Kochi, Other

"I saw an angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." - Michelangelo
"I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am." - Sylvia Plath

i know! so totally! i looove this story!! being dorky/weird/different means being yourself and being proud to be you! those popular girls and guys at school...they're so fake!!

WickedStarcatcher DIAMOND, Massapequa, New York

"I don't damsel well. Distress, I can do. Damseling? Not so much."
— James Patterson
"This is the very first page, not where the storyline ends, my thoughts will echo your name until I see you again..." ~Taylor Swift "Enchanted"

I love wearing dressy clothes and outfits to school, but have earned some criticsm for my choices. I ADORE wearing dresses and pretty, vintage skirts, but I was onced asked if i was going to a funeral!!!! (Well, later a cute boy told me I looked pretty, so that kind of canceled the comment out) But I just tell people "this is the way I like to dress, so accept it." I love the clothes that I wear and I feel confident when I'm all decked out in my favorite black dress and rainbow necklace :) Thanks for posting this-it was really inspiring and reminded me that I like who I am and the clothes that I wear. Your writing rocks! :)

orangeapple said...
I am one of those girls who always had friends who were dresses to perfection. My hair is long and I always wear either long pants or sport shorts that go to my knees. I always try to wear sweatshirts and jackets and dark colored tshirts. I have always felt ugly and fat like I wanted to dig a hole and hide in it. This story made me think reall