Coveted Discovery | Teen Ink

Coveted Discovery

By Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

My safe haven, the small dusty library that lay nestled between the lunchroom and the gym. Beyond the threshold lay hundreds of unspoken wonders just waiting to release its knowledge upon my starved eyes. Inhaling the familiar scent, I searched the worn shelves for an undiscovered wonder waiting to be devoured. Running my elfin hands over the worn spines, I traced the letters embossed on the side of each paged wonder. Finally, a formal scripted gold book caught my eye. Standing on the tips of my patent leather clad feet I reached for the age-worn title, straining my arms to grab the precious material. To my dismay, just as my fingers clasped around the novel it came crashing down onto the scruffy carpet followed by a parade of formerly aligned reading material. Diving into the pile I triumphantly emerged with a new book in my hands. I greedily ran my eyes over the cover before realizing that it was not the coveted discovery laying on my palms but instead a colorful book with a silver embossed title and a small boy on a broomstick. Amazed by my unforeseen discovery, I flipped open the first page and saw my initial glimpse of the “Boy who Lived” A week later I had fallen in love with the colorful characters and was overjoyed to find the sequel sitting upon the shelf next to it’s predecessor. My previous safe-haven morphed into a magical world and my armchair was a flying Ford Angila. I traveled to magical castles and eccentric homes before returning to my muggle school to learn science and math in place of runes and potions. I had found a place all my own and wasn’t about to share it with anyone, everyday after school I spent countless hours at Hogwarts with the Golden Trio and through the years they followed me, always allowing the safe haven to be within my grasp. When the muggle world become overwhelming Hermione’s brains, Harry’s bravery and Ron’s sheer stupidity helped brighten the most mundane of days and as the end drew near for Harry and his pals, the books truly “opened at the close” for me. The conclusion of my safe haven only drew it nearer to my heart for when I open that book I am transported back to the dusty library nestled between the lunchroom and the gym.

Just a little tid-bit about the experience that inspired me to start writing!