The Animal Shelter | Teen Ink

The Animal Shelter

By ILWriter333 GOLD, Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
ILWriter333 GOLD, Hawthorn Woods, Illinois

Two woods diverged in a yellow wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference

My sister is a volunteer at an Animal Shelter and I've been taking allergy shots for almost a year (I'm allergic to cats, dogs, etc) and me and my family went to meet my sister at the shelter after she was done to see if we could find a cute cat to adopt. We went to the cat room and then drifted to the kitten room. I was playing with all the kittens while my mom picked up a cat and let it walk around her. My dad was just kneeling down when a cute kitten started walking all over him. GLACIER, read the name tag. A beautiful gray Egyptian Mau cuddled up to my dad. We just had to get her. She was only 6 months and since that still is considered a kitten, we needed to adopt 2 kittens so that they're bonded together and the kitten doesn't get lonely if we have to go out shopping or something.
One adorable orange marbled kitten names JORDAN started playing with the toys I taunted the cats with. Normally I wouldn't notice just one cat over the other, but this cat was different. So much more playful. When I lifted the toy above their heads, most of the cats sat down trying to figure out a way to get it, but Jordan just jumped up and tried to get it anyways.
We knew who we wanted so when my parents went to get adopt them, they came back upset.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"It's Jordan, she was adopted yesterday. The owners just didn't have a chance to pick her up yet because they didn't finish the paper work." My mom said
I ran back into the kitten room looking for someone else to accompany Glacier. I was heart broken about Jordan, but a cute cat name PRIMA, a cat as black a midnight came up to comfort me. She also crawled all over my mom. She has no idea about personal space. I giggled we knew Prima (although, we didn't like the name so we renamed her Raistlyn after a fantasy character) was the cat for us.
Now, Glacier and Raistlyn wrestle with each there, but love each there like adopted sisters. The only thing that hasn't changed even though it's been over a year and a half, is the Raistlyn loves to crawl all over people and has no regard for personal space. That's how I got my kittens.