Effortless | Teen Ink

Effortless

By Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

They view their job as asking, and they view my job as giving answers.

Sometimes I want to shout. I am not superman. I am not an octopus. I do not have supernatural powers. I do not have eight arms. I am merely a human being. Just like them.

But they… those arrogant, ungrateful, blood sucking… They drain me of my time and do not pause to thank me. They take away my knowledge and do not turn back to give me something in return.

I am just like them. Just like them! It takes effort, just as it would them.

Is it fair that I should set aside a good storybook to analyze a math equation for my sister? Is it fair that I should set aside my homework to lend my skill with words to my brother? Is it fair that I should set aside my writing to listen to my friends complain about useless topics?

No. Not when they expect it every second of every day.

There are times when I feel used. I know it is not true. How could it be? I let myself be used, and, therefore, it is of my free will. I give them my uses for nothing in return, for nothing but empty promises.

What I hate is that I know it, yet I cannot do anything about it. What I hate is that they don’t know it, and so they are oblivious to my hidden thoughts. What I hate is that I don’t have the courage to tell them that it’s my turn, my turn to get what I want.

I have to only speak up. I wish so many things, that I can speak up, but something catches in my throat when I’m about to. Something… Something stops me from standing in the spotlight, bars my way so rudely.

And I know what it is. It is me.

I am a giver.

If only a giver weren’t so afraid to receive.

I kind of rant in this piece, but I really do hate the feeling of being used. I actually was feeling pretty happy while I was writing this, but I guess I had some leftover feelings that helped me bring the words together.

on Sep. 20 2011 at 12:44 am
chocoholicmadness SILVER, Singapore, Other
Hey! So I'm kinda stalking all your work because they're all so good. You're an amazing writer Ninja :)

L.B.C.. BRONZE said...
L.B.C.. BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

"Only you can be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

Thanks for viewing my story, and I know it's taken me a while, but i'm finally getting to yours. The reason it's taken me a while is because I am an extremely busy person, and I think this article has summed up why. I absoulutely love it, keep on writing!

msp49 BRONZE said...
msp49 BRONZE, Middletown, Connecticut
To add on, I also feel like the ranting made the piece.  If it was more put together, you wouldn't be able to feel the emotion as much.

msp49 BRONZE said...
msp49 BRONZE, Middletown, Connecticut
I love this piece.  You worded everything perfectly to fit the frustrated tone and message being conveyed.  What especially appealed to me was I can completely relate and myself, hate the feeling of being used.  Excellent, excellent job.

dancemaniac GOLD, Mansfield, Texas
love the emotion throughout the piece! great job!

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I liked this a lot! I think that a lot of "givers" can relate. Good work!

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
This is really good for a rant. I absolutely loved the opening sentence, it caught my attention!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Great job!  I can tell you put a lot of emotion into writing this.  I feel the same way a lot too. :)

Double AA said...
Good topic but perhaps the title should be "The Giver"?  I do LOVE the last line of the story, it is definitely the punch line.  On the flip side, remember To Love is to Give.  If you are a Giver then you know how to love but you do not know how to be loved, and those who are Receivers, know how to be loved but not to love.  Don't know which one is worse...to be the Receiver or the Giver

Emily.L GOLD said...
Emily.L GOLD, Gilbert, Arizona

"Sometimes, we just have to be happy with what people can offer us. Even if it's not what we want, at least it's something. " -Sarah Dessen

I agree with everyone...this is so relatable and well-written :) I loved the last line too!

MorenSore SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right of being able to do what we ought."
~Lord Acton

I love how much people can relate to it. That is how a good writer gets people to read his books.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Wow. I feel exactly in tune with this piece. I'm a person like that , and it brought out alot of emotion reading this. It's a good thing to know I'm not alone. :)

You made this piece really relatable and emotional. I could practically hear you ranting this out ,it was so strong. Great job , seriously. Keep it up!

renthead96 BRONZE, City, Ohio

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."

This is a very relatable topic, I think. Truly many people feel used at some point in their lives, as though they serve a purpose to some people as merely nothing more than someone who can help them with a personal gain. Sometimes I too feel this way. My closest friends always tell me I can be "too nice," and I never really ask for anything for myself. I suppose this is better than being greedy, yet we all come to a point when we want to have something in return for our good favors.

I liked how you described that "something" was hampering your way into the spotlight. I think many people feel as though others will see them as selfish, even when they're clearly not. I also liked how you labeled yourself as a giver, and ended the piece with "If only a giver weren't so afraid to receive."

All in all, a great piece of work. It's not too long and gets right to the point, which is how many of us feel used, and are afraid to please ourselves every once in a while. I enjoyed reading it, and keep writing!

Saysh PLATINUM said...
Saysh PLATINUM, Brentwood, California

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

I love how relatable this is! I feel like a lot of people could read this and completely feel what you were feeling! Great work!!!