A Shot of Sunshine | Teen Ink

A Shot of Sunshine

December 12, 2011
By Anonymous

I myself have been told a fair amount of times that my personality is like a ball of sunshine (e.g. always being happy-go-lucky/friendly, sparking conversation among strangers, and having a permanent smile plastered on my face). Well, I'll let you in on something--the sun went down on my life for a while. And because of it, I have grown and matured in ways I never thought possible.

Believe me, I know how it feels to sit in those bleachers and listen to speaker after motivational speaker preaching about mental health awareness issues and signs of suicidal thoughts to watch for in your peers. They tell you that there's always someone who cares, even if you've completely convinced yourself otherwise. It all seems so distant at the time, like those situations are only important to the characters in Lifetime movies, not in real life. At this point, you can probably guess what I'm about to tell you. Yes, you're right. I did struggle with depression. And yes, these resources did end up being tremendously helpful in the plight to restore happiness in my life.

Now, I'm a pretty cheery person naturally (if the ball of sunshine bit didn't tip you off). But when darkness swallows you up-- no matter what the cause, it's rather difficult to recover that carefree view on life. With that being said, it's even harder to remember those words of wisdom you were told in all those student workshops.

When you can't even talk to your friends about your own troubled thoughts, it's hard to imagine dialing up Julie from the suicide hotline to grasp for help in that moment you need it most. A moment that is very literally life or death. Admitting to yourself that you are in need of assistance to overcome a problem is one of the most beneficial experiences someone can have. That's half the battle right there. When this is done, the real healing can begin. Whether the help is administered by a parent or a psychologist--it's a step in the right direction. The direction of recovery.

Now matter how much of a loner you once considered yourself to be, no matter how hopeless it seems, it is possible for people to help; and they will. They'll talk with you, cry with you, listen to you, be that stepping stone to happiness. In fact, a simple "How are you today?" from an acquaintance could be the turning point for someone. This is what happened to me. Let people in, and they just might bring brightness along with them.

Looking back on it- well, nevermind- let's not look back on it. The past is something that far too many present thoughts are wasted on. There is absolutely nothing that can be done to alter the past. Therefore, it's not worth dwelling on; one must live for now. All that matters about past struggles is that they were overcome, and they molded you into the person that is sitting here reading this.

So, my fellow bored-to-death high school students sitting in that overheated gymnasium, listen to those speakers-- don't brush them off and zone out. For someday, you might need to reach for help; whether it be from a a close friend or a professional. Or, in equal importance, you could be the hand that pulls someone out of their slump. Be healthy, be helpful, be aware.

Let that sunshine in, and give it back out in return.


The author's comments:
My entire Junior year of high school was a marathon of emotional issues dealing with a wide variety of topics. Having completely recovered, I feel as if I can really relate to people that are dealing with mental health issues. I began writing this today in homeroom after I heard and announcement stating that there would be a mental health workshop tomorrow for the Senior class.