I Lived, I Loved & I Laughed | Teen Ink

I Lived, I Loved & I Laughed

By kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

There is that time in our lives, every year, every week, sometimes every day, when everything seems to fall away. Darkness takes over you and you just want to break down. People become self-centered idiots and you struggle to stay on top of it all. You’re at that point where one person, or action, or comment, or image, can push you over the edge. And the whole time, everyone’s looking at you funny. If only they knew. When you try to take hold of it, you find that the helplessness of the situation has eaten away at your abilities to focus, and you’re cornered unwillingly, trying to escape but not even knowing which way is which. There’s left and right, and there’s right and wrong. But each is shadowed over with doubt and lies and hurt and pain and deception. So you say to yourself, I am nothing. I don’t deserve this...life. You work up the courage, slowly, but surely, and you end it. Your last thoughts are that this is oblivion and let’s see them try and stop you now, the suckers! Because you don’t have anyone who cares about you, right? No one loves you, no one understands, no one’s willing to listen without being judgmental – right? Wrong. In fact, more likely that each person you come into contact with is a human, like you. They have thoughts, too. There are beggars in fallen countries, and you may turn your nose up at them, but they feel what you feel. They know. The dying people in hospitals, the orphans, not knowing or deserving the so-called life ahead of them, they all know what it’s like. Some people say the best way to approach someone who’s falling quickly is to comfort them, show them love and give them guidance. You can combine these with the one thing that all young people crave: a hard, sure dose of reality. Tell them to wake up! Look around you, life is everywhere. Get up and go – look around and opportunities will be falling over themselves to show you that, it’s okay to let off a little steam, but you are alive. So make the most of it. It doesn’t matter if you’re black or white, gay or lesbian, straight or bisexual, disabled or ‘strange’, nobody’s perfect. And yes, that may be clichéd, but so are we, because we are the human race and we see and we do. We find comfort in each other’s sorrows. Don’t be typical, stand out from the crowd, be who you’ve always wanted to be, don’t do things for others, achieve for yourself. Because in the end, as you take your last breaths, you should be able to say, ‘I lived, and I loved, and I laughed.’

This is an inspirational piece that I think everyone can relate to. I have a good friend, and she's Muslim. She is beautiful, I have glimpsed her inner beauty. She loves sports, ice skating and basketball. Unfortunately, she is hospitalized at the moment in a psychiatric ward, due to self-harm that led to a huge amount of her blood being lost. I had no clue. I was concerned about her, as she is not very open or friendly, and has mood swings. Also, she was dropping hints, and I gathered she was being abused, in some form, at her home. I did my best to help her, and I think I may have helped her to survive, during a particularly dark time. This is for you, Mariam (name has been changed). I love you, no matter what anyone else thinks.

austenite GOLD said...
austenite GOLD, River Falls, Wisconsin

...one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love....I love...I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. -Mr. Darcy

What a powerfully written piece! You impressed me yet again.  The flow and message of this piece were so personal, and you wrote it in such a way that is easy to relate to.  Your friend is lucky to have a friend like you!  

AnnTsikaris said...
Awwwwwwww. beautifully written. Hope your friend gets better soon!!

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

Perfectly said, and I am sorry to hear about your friend.