Love dogs | Teen Ink

Love dogs

By Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia
Jezabel PLATINUM, Ricmond, Virginia

In the end we will not the remeber the words of your enemys, but the silence of are friends.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

You hear them before you see them. Dogs, mutts of all kinds, that’s what you first notice when you volunteer at BARK. I grab a leash and enter a vast room of cages filled with dogs which jump and whine. I decide to walk a dog in the far right cage. Emmitt’s a cute little thing with a dark chocolate coat and gold around the muzzle and paws. As I bring him outside, he walks with such grace and poise. I plop down next to my brother, on the hill by the forest. Emmett’s cell mate is at the end of my brother’s lead. I rub my new friend’s belly as he licks my face. I smile; I’ve been a dog lover for years. But as this moment of canine bliss occurs, a deadly events unfolds above me. A woman drops her lead. A rusty colored pit bull runs past me into the dense forest where the dog walk ends. I look up, while the woman just stands there calling “Red” again and again. As if the dog will not run around like any dog would. I hand Emmett’s lead to my brother, I run after Red. I find her sniffing a tree, near a boy a bit younger than me. I try to grab Red then all hell breaks loose. Red lunges at the spotted dog the boy is walking; Red has a hold of the spotted one’s muzzle. They’re both on their hind legs, and I’m in the middle of a pit bull fight. I pick up a long, heavy branch and hit the mighty creature. Red doesn’t even flinch. I scream like a child, “There’s a fight!” and continue to hit Red and the spotted creature that is fighting for his life. Other volunteers swarm; the owner hits Red with a bucket. He lets go stunned and the spotted dog is left shaking. I run back to my brother and to Emmett. I hold the dog to my heavy heart, and whisper, “I’m sorry”.

Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
I really don't understand your writing. Your other pieces and even your profile have god awful spelling and mechanics and you say "sorry i'm dislesive" (which I assume means dyslexic), but then you post this which has perfect spelling and mechanics???