The Valley of My Bliss | Teen Ink

The Valley of My Bliss

April 6, 2012
By thegoldenllama BRONZE, Cupertino, California
thegoldenllama BRONZE, Cupertino, California
2 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
猿も木から落ちる。


A mixture of exuberance and bewilderment envelops me as the panorama stands before my eyes. Towering mountains loom ominously above. Their jagged peaks stretch high into the clear, cerulean sky. Blanketing the mountains’ rocky, gray blue sides is pearl white snow, and below the mountains are jade green rolling hills and valleys, smoothly sloping up and down. Twisted, steel gray roads slither like long, ashen snakes, following the curves of the valleys and disappearing behind the hills’ tops. A lonely, crimson car rides down one of the roads as its aging engine boisterously rumbles. It slowly heads toward an immense, desolate lodging, nesting in the middle of a valley. Moss green pine trees are neatly lined behind the auburn house, and dry, nutmeg brown grass hugs the sides of the shingle style home. Cheerful laughter and cries fill the lodging with zeal. The frying of spicy food dances out of one of the rooms and onto the hills, one of which I stand on top, and playfully curls under my nose. Engrossed by the wonderful aroma from the cooking, I breathe in more deeply and find my lungs not only fill with the splendid, piquant cooking scents but also with the mountains’ fresh, sweet air and the dust from the road. At the same time, the aftertaste of my turkey sandwich from lunch becomes distinct. The flavor of the mellow cheese and the palatable, sweet turkey returns, and my mouth starts to water. The wind, whistling lightly, begins to pick up speed, caresses my cheeks and chin, and ruffles my clothes. Between my toes, the soft, olive green grass tickles me gently and sways from side to side. Suddenly, a current as cold as ice, coming from the mountains, brushes against my skin. I shiver in the chilliness and then sneeze. My sneeze explodes into a bomb, echoing across the valley and causing alarmed birds to take flight into the heavens. Immediately, I cringe at the harsh, booming noise I have made and gaze at the sky to seek warmness. As if acknowledging my silent wish, the ephemeral coldness vanishes, and the lukewarm sun quickly arrives to my rescue, bathing my body and mind in blissful warmth again.


The author's comments:
Nothing beats the invigorating experience of being out in nature. A moment of spirituality between Mother Nature and me. :)

Happy Earth Day!