Suprise! | Teen Ink

Suprise!

January 16, 2013
By purple17 BRONZE, Mancos, Colorado
purple17 BRONZE, Mancos, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

“Where are we going?” we asked my mom and dad.

“It’s going to be fun,” they said.

I was still worrying that they were lost, but in the end I knew they had a trick up their sleeve.

It was the winter of 2010 when I was asking “Where are we going?”, but my parents said “a place” so we drove to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Ideas of amusement parks and fun places raced through my head like race horses but were gone quickly due to reality.

I was in 6th grade and it was at lunch, when I was on my way to Knowledge Bowl practice. I saw my mom signing me out. In my head I thought “O great, a dentist appointment.” But mom said it wasn’t anything to do with that so we went home and those race horses raced in my head as I was trying to guess where we were going. She wouldn’t tell me.

When we got home everyone was a little freaked out because my parents never did anything like this, they never had the time or money to miss work. We loaded up in the car packed in like sardines in a can. We assumed we were just taking a short trip, but we weren’t. We got to the motel and slept, but I couldn’t, I just lie there as the horses raced like it was the Kentucky Derby. When my mom woke us up it six o clock in the morning! Who wakes up that early on Vacation?! I knew something was up…but what was it?

We drove and drove for what seemed like hours but were only about 20 minutes. We finally arrived at the airport…what were we doing at the airport?! I couldn’t contain myself; I was so excited that’s when the horses sped up like race cars in the Indy 500. I was like a little kid in a candy store I could decide what to think, be excited, or be worried that something had happened. So I just rolled with it. As we checked in our luggage I tried to guess what was going on. Where were we going? That’s when I noticed my brother was holding our tickets! As I tried to get the tickets my sisters were freaking out. They were saying things like “What if the plane crashes, and we are stranded on an island and we cant find food and we die?!” Emmalee kept saying “I cant die I’m only nine, I have to live longer!” My brother was still playing keep away with the tickets. Then I finally got a hold of them and do you know what they said, bet you don’t…it said we were going to fly to Atlanta Georgia then Orlando Florida! Then those race horses sped up again like never before, it was like the ending line was right there and they could almost taste it. Then I screamed at my brother “WHAT IF WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD?” he then replied “Nah it’s too expensive.” My hopes were crushed by that boring brother of mine. But I still wanted to believe it so I did, in my heart I some how knew we were going to have a lot of fun.

Finally the flight attendant announced that our flight was leaving in 20 minutes at gate 10. I felt like we had been waiting for hours. So we raced to the gate. When we got there my dad asked us “Do you guys by chance want to know where we’re going?” I yelled “YES” I felt like my head was going to explode. As we stood there with our eyes popping out my mom said “We are going to Disney World!” I had a little dance party with myself and I rubbed it in my brother’s face that I was right. My sisters and I all had what felt like a mini heart attack we were so excited. My sister Emmalee started crying she was so excited, it was a moment ill never forget.

We boarded the plane and walking onto it was like walking into a new world because we had never flown before, it was awesome. Flying above the clouds made you feel weightless. The clouds looked like giant fluffy cotton balls or huge cotton candy clouds you could jump on.

Even though I didn’t know what was going on it was okay because that moment that my sister cried made me realize that even though sometimes my family is very annoying, I love them a lot. So let things be a surprise, roll with it. This was an awesome trip with my family I will never forget.