You Knew | Teen Ink

You Knew

By jess14 BRONZE, New York, New York
jess14 BRONZE, New York, New York

"We accept the love we think we deserve"

I will always remember the last time I looked into her eyes. Dark and cloudy with flecks of sun. But a storm was coming and you knew it. You always knew. You always knew, didn’t you Chelsea. You knew when tears were rolling down my mother’s face. You knew when the man with the white jacket came to our house. And you knew when the clear syringe went into your body and your eyes got all heavy, like tiny little fairies were pulling, pulling, pulling your eyelids down. And you knew when you saw the last glimpse of your life, of my parents softly stroking your thick, midnight fur. And you knew when the light came streaming through the windows, its tendrils quietly grabbing at the last wisps of life. Swallowing everything, everything until there is nothing left but you. And then it stops, you stop. And disappear from the world.

This piece is about when my dog got put to sleep.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Aw, Jess, how sincere! This was so sad for me to read, I remember when we had to put our dog that was 18 years old down and it was the worst thing in the world. I remember just playing with her the day before. And there was no way I was going when she had to be put down. Animals are such companions. They are more faithful than most people, aren't they? The repetition was really good.. it really emphasized the concept of how Chelsea knew. A lot of times, repetition is over-done, but you evenly worded it at certain times and very appropriately. I am sorry for the loss of your dog, but you wrote this so well. Great job especially with the emotion!

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Reading it online is almost as good as reading it in class last year. It still brings tears to my eyes! Great job! See you tomorrow ;)

relaxingcry GOLD, Buffalo, New York

i go hard forever thats just how im designed thats just how im built see the look in my eyes take all this from me and im still going to survive

that was very well written you were right i wasnt disappointed :)

MattMattHatter PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn. "
Thomas Gray

I love the meaning behind it, and how it comes together in the end. In the beginning it seemed Chelsea was a person, and I loved how you made the transition into her being a dog.

Dreamer_ SILVER, Milton On, Other

"We're all mad here" ~ Cheshire Cat

"Whats your dream?"
"To go, away." ~ Surfs Up.

Thats so sweet! Its hard to let go of pets :)