The Guide to Happiness | Teen Ink

The Guide to Happiness

January 21, 2013
By AndiFace SILVER, Selah, Washington
AndiFace SILVER, Selah, Washington
8 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To crave for happiness in this world is simply to be possessed by a spirit of revolt." - Henrik Ibsen


So, I haven't had a perfect life, and I've grown up around some pretty depressing people. All my friends seem to have some really messed up history to them, my mom was depressed from when I was seven to twelve, and I've been pretty messed up myself. Sometimes, life just sucks. Somehow, however, I've managed to become one of the happiest people I know.

I'm not happy because I have a lot to appreciate, I'm happy because I realize the value of these things. Before you go thinking I just have a really nice life and Live in luxury, stop. I've been through horrible times and hardships just like anyone else. I left behind the best friend I've ever had, I have an alcoholic brother, and I've been that freak that you're too embarrassed to talk to at school. I've had problems just like anyone else. But you know what? I've learned to let that stuff go and to stop caring. It's hard, but sometimes it's the only solution. The only way you'll ever notice the good in life is by forgetting all the bad.

Other people's opinions always seem to overpower our own, and I think we need to leave that thinking behind because you know what? Those kids who never believed in you aren't always going to be there. In order to go in the path you want, you have to believe in that path. The only person who's going to help you believe is, in the end, yourself. I mean, you decide what you wear in the morning. You decide how well you want to do in your classes. You decide who you'll hang around. And one day, you'll have to decide where you'll go in life. All those decisions are up to you, so you're going to have to learn to depend on your own thinking every now and then.

Finally, and maybe even most importantly, never pile things up. If you're angry, take care of it. I don't mean go punch a hole in your wall, but find something that you really enjoy doing that makes you feel good. There's sports (though, this never works for me. I always feel less angry, of course, but the problem is still there and I still don't know what to do about it,) music, blogging, writing, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, writing works best for me, and if you're reading this magazine it probably will work best for you, too, but I love being able to read my thoughts and ideas there in front of me. Just never hold back, because that fake smile won't last forever.

Anyway, I wrote this because when I found something that worked in making me happy, I felt obligated to share it with whoever needs it. Please consider this, and it will take time, but it does get better.