Same Thing Over and Over | Teen Ink

Same Thing Over and Over

May 28, 2013
By coffee-stained BRONZE, Cape Carteret, North Carolina
coffee-stained BRONZE, Cape Carteret, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Is mayonaise an instrument?"- Patrick Star (Spongebob Squarepants)


I can see my future as quiet, dimly lit, and open.

A girl sits at her computer desk. Her red, gold curls are all tucked away in a dark blue beanie. Eyes are wide open, focused, hidden by dark frames slightly below her eye level. Her back and shoulders are hunched over with her legs folded under each other. One hand rests on two keys: Ctrl and Z. The other hand holds a pen to a board, elbow resting on the desk. A large t-shirt leaves her comfortable, along with her baggy pants with no shoes or socks.

The laptop's bright screen reflected against two rectangular frames, rested against a pointed nose and covering wide, blue eyes. A red curl falls out of a tucked beanie, leaving the others that are hidden underneath. Shoulder hunched forward, curving the spine and resting arms upon the desk's surface. Bare feet left folded under cloth-covered legs, keeping themselves warm and comfortable.

A hunched form stares in a zombie-like trance at a bright screen. There is no sound except for the hum of the laptop and the occasional tapping of a pen to tablet. The creature sits there motionless and covered in baggy clothes far too big for the form's size. The only movement to take note of at all is the steady rise and fall of its chest as it breathes calmly. The being does not speak; it only stares with a focused gaze, never moving.

There isn't a single thought going through my mind. Besides making a choice on what line to draw next or what color to choose, there's nothing really else to think about. The rhythm of my pen to my tablet puts me in a trance; it's very relaxing. Out of all this empty thought, I take notice that my toes are chilly, so I tuck them further under my folded legs to keep them warm. In the room it's cold and dark, but the brightness emanating from my computer's screen keeps me company. I'm absolutely comfortable from where I am sitting, possibly because I've been doing this exact thing for my entire life. My entire life I've been sitting in front of a screen drawing and yet I am contempt. There's nothing else for me out there. So I'm perfectly fine staying right here. "Here" is at a desk, legs crossed, shoulders hunched, hands either typing or holding a pen, and eyes staring at my work. "Work" being my contribution to the cyber world made up of individuals who are exactly like me.


The author's comments:
A piece about my absolutely, wonderfully, plain life.