Mind's Thoughts | Teen Ink

Mind's Thoughts

May 31, 2013
By Redella SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Redella SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Well, I have to do something. I need to create a piece of writing. It can be either nonfiction or argumentative. But which one do I want to do? My immediate thought is neither. I have to do one or the other though. So, the question I ask myself is, What do I write about?

I sit at my desk in class blankly staring at a blank sheet of paper. The paper seems to laugh at me as I vainly think of ideas to use. Part of me hopes that something would magically appear on my paper. But, after ten minutes, nothing happens except the fact that none of my ideas would work. Just what I need at a time like this, I think with a little sarcasm.

Yes, I have a lot of ideas. And many of them would work if I had the motivation to write them down. Most of the time though, I find that the topics I think of are boring and I want to try something a little more interesting. Once again, the question comes up. What do I write about?

I could write about the time I went to Cedar Point, or maybe when I went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. But who would care? They’d probably think the piece was boring and not even finish reading it.

I’m back to the start. Frustration builds up as two more ideas go out the window. I have to think of something fast. Time in class is running out and the piece is due very soon. Stress builds up slowly as the time ticks by. I keep staring at the paper, blaming my common infection of Writer’s Block that seems to always hit me at the wrong time. Not exactly the best thing in the world.

What do I write about? It’s so simple, yet so complex.

Well, since I've already written it all down, I’ll share this piece. A small informative about what goes through my mind every time I pick up a pen to write. That can’t be too boring. With one minute left in class, it’ll have to do for now.


The author's comments:
I got this idea by just writing down my thoughts during class. I wasn't originally going to submit it, but the idea of it intrigued me enough to turn it into a piece of writing.