Transcendentalist Reflection | Teen Ink

Transcendentalist Reflection

Once I step outside, I lose the conformity of the walls surrounding me. I gain a sense of freedom as I walk around the open space. Instead of breathing in the stuffy indoor air, I take in a breath of fresh air, welcoming me into nature. Although I can hear the cars driving by, and the crickets making their noises, it still seems to be peacefully quiet in my backyard. Being outside is so different and so much better than being stuck inside.

Someone must be using their fireplace because I can smell the smoke. There’s nothing better than the smell of a fire burning. It is freezing out but the cool air feels refreshing against my cheeks. The wind blows the leaves past my feet, making a familiar crinkling noise that I have grown to love. Although I do not particularly enjoy the cold weather, today it isn’t too unbearable.

It feels incredible to be able to step outside for a while. To act as if there isn’t 5 hours left of homework, SAT work, and studying ahead of me for the night. To forget about the test I have tomorrow and just think. To be able to let your stress melt away and just observe.

With no distractions around me, the time goes by very slowly. Seconds feel like hours, minutes feel like days. But strangely enough, I don’t mind sitting outside. The calming atmosphere around me makes you really realize how beautiful nature is and how we should be more appreciative of it.