A Christmas Story | Teen Ink

A Christmas Story

November 21, 2013
By kayannalee BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
kayannalee BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every year there are thousands of children whose parents cannot afford to give them a Christmas. My mother and I decided to help these parents who are heartbroken over the fact that there will not be Christmas presents under.

Last year my mother was on Craig's list and found a family who was begging for help on giving their kids a real Christmas. This broke my mother’s heart because she couldn't imagine not being able to see her child's bright happy smiles Christmas morning because of what Santa had brought them. She contacted the family and found the ages of the children and things they liked.

Afterwards, I helped her shop for the kids. Two year old and a six year old were about to be given a real Christmas. We went to Kmart and bought so many different toys, from WWE wrestler figures to Elmo and Spider-Man. We gathered as much stuff as we could. Since I have a little brother it was easy for my mother and I to pick out toys.

Once we finished shopping we started to wrap the presents. It took us all day and I could not wait to drop them off the next morning to the family who needed them. I just pictured how happy those children would be waking up to something that they may have never experienced before. It made me feel very thankful for the things that I do have. I never really noticed how lucky I was until I was writing from : Santa on someone's gift that I have never met before.

I will never forget the morning that we went to drop the presents off. The family lived in a trailer...but it was an abandoned one because their previous one had burnt down across the street. They lived in what looked to be a junk yard. It was all they had. The mother came out and thanked my mother a million times, with tears fallings from her eyes. She could finally give her children a wonderful Christmas. Doing what we did taught me a lot. I've never been more thankful for what my own family can provide for me. Seeing people who live much harsher lives than I made me change the way that I see my life and the things around me. I am so happy I got to experience this and that I will again this year.