Noticing the Norm | Teen Ink

Noticing the Norm

January 15, 2014
By transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
40 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. -Hebrews 13:5


I sat there for a while, looking around the room, trying to think of something. While I was wrapped up in this, I saw my friend, just a few desks away. She is beautiful, I thought, with the way she so casually continues on with her life and is unaware of her own wonder. And then I looked one desk away from her, and saw the same thing. And all around me, I caught glimpses of all of the people, reading, playing games, listening to music, talking, laughing, sharing connections. It was something normal. Completely and utterly normal, yet it caught me today as something more.

It was beautiful.

And then I thought about how, when somebody is crying, people swarm around them to make sure that they are okay. It’s their first reaction. And I thought about how people don’t like to always be alone. Okay, maybe once in a while it’s nice, but we, as humans, rely upon each other. And then I thought about the miles and miles of extremely complex genetic code that went into each and every person here, about how many millions of books would have to fit that much information, but about how we are so much more than code. I thought about how we are made up of memories that have been made throughout a lifetime, the feelings from those experiences, and even the ones around us.

And then the bell rang, and I lost my train of thought, jumping back into the norm.


The author's comments:
Just a thought that ran through y head in one of my classes today.