Reflection of My Catholic Education | Teen Ink

Reflection of My Catholic Education

By Casey McEvoy BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
Casey McEvoy BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa

It started with the smallest of seeds. Kindergarten marked the first year of my Catholic education. Little did I know that a tiny mustard seed was planted in my heart. My parents, with Christ’s guidance, planted that seed within me so I may flourish and grow into a faithful follower of God. This was the first stepping stone of my faith life journey. When I was in elementary school, I remember learning the blessed prayers such as the Hail Mary and the Our Father. I was clueless during my youth, but by the time of my Confirmation, I could see everything I had learned about the faith in elementary school had nurtured and fostered the mustard seed to grow into something much greater.

During my Confirmation preparation, I truly started to be grateful for my Catholic education. It was the first time I felt God talk to me. It was a pivotal point in my life. I was fortunate and still am fortunate to be immersed in a positive school atmosphere surrounded by others that encourage me down the right path. Now a senior in a Catholic high school, I am beyond blessed to have received a religious education. I wake up each day asking myself, “What can I do to become the best version of myself? How can I live an authentic Christian life?” My Catholic education guides me in answering these questions and has led me to put my faith into action. James 2:14 says it best, “What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?”

Anyone can learn the faith, but it takes special individuals to attempt to live it each day. One way I attempt to do this is by genuinely caring about the well-being of others and putting their needs before my own. I learned the value of community service at a HOBY Leadership Conference I attended my sophomore year. They challenged us to perform 100 hours of service in the next year. There were no religious affiliations in relation to the conference, but I was presented with a unique opportunity to give, to give my time and talents to my faith community. Giving of myself to others, even the smallest deed is important because it’s not small to the one in need, nor to God, if I give what I can. I achieved that goal and have currently logged 190 hours of service. I continue to serve because I feel as though I make a positive impact on others. Whether it is mentoring a middle school student, volunteering at the local food pantry, or being a server at parish dinners, service to others has become a way of life.

Jesus taught that life is reciprocal in that we receive what we have given to others. I learned this lesson through my service work. I presented myself with the question, “How can I get others in on putting their faith into action and making a difference?” The answer was Pay It Forward, a movement I started in my school in an attempt to start a chain reaction of kindness and compassion. Over 800 students received a bracelet which acted as a physical reminder to be kind. The goal is to pass the bracelet on to someone else. This movement takes a Christian idea and provides everyone the opportunity to partake while allowing them to obtain the joy of helping others. Similar to the tiny mustard seed, the smallest act of kindness grows exponentially and creates a ripple effect of kindness that has no end.

It started with the smallest of seeds. The little seed that was planted in Kindergarten has now grown into a deep faith that is firmly rooted in Christ. My religious education has changed my life because it shapes how I treat others everyday. I may be the only Jesus people see all day which means living out Christ’s teaching is essential to His mission. I could not be more thankful for the blessing of Saint Edmond Catholic Schools. They have really instilled morals and values that have provided a light unto my path. When I stand before God at the end of my life, I hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Casey McEvoy BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
Please comment with feedback! Thanks!