Choose Family | Teen Ink

Choose Family

By Matthew_Lovingood BRONZE, Murphy, North Carolina
Matthew_Lovingood BRONZE, Murphy, North Carolina

We knew already that there was a problem. Mom and dad don’t like him. I don’t like him and at this point I don’t even think she likes him. My sister has been dating her boyfriend for one year now. I think she just likes to be defiant. So much yelling, screaming, and hurt. He has been a gray cloud over us for too long. I just wanted it to be over.

My mother and I were riding home from school. It was just another day. Mom tried not to anger herself towards me as this was going on. But I could still detect irregular irritability. We got home, and I still felt weird. Nothing out of the ordinary we walked into a fight. I just walked through normally. But at the same time I felt like this one was different. My sister was sobbing, and all of the sudden she said it. The words that changed my life forever, “I’m leaving.” Now during this summer my sister had told me, “If it ever got so bad where I wanted to leave home, I would break up with him, and choose you.” So when she said that it felt like she didn’t even care about me anymore. I was so mad! I trusted her, and she just threw me to the side. I always thought that it wouldn’t ever come to that. But it did. My dad’s best friend is a youth pastor, and he came over and talked to my sister before she was going to leave. I don’t know how he did it, but he got her to stay that night, and think more about things. She gave me a big apology, and told me that it would never happen again, and I forgave her, and I and she are the best of friends. We’ve never been closer.

She thought everything was over, and it started to make sense to her. Everything my parents had been saying all this time had been true. So now my sister is happy, and our relationship as a family has grown even stronger than before.