Enemy | Teen Ink

Enemy

By Swasher SILVER, Hsinchu County, Other
Swasher SILVER, Hsinchu County, Other

You pass through the narrow, tortuous path filled with black and darkness, pervaded by opaque mists. You walk to the deepest part of your soul, the place where your enemy is, the hole that didn't seems to have an end. There, your enemy stands. Not facing you.

As a student, my duty is to study. As an eighth grader, my enemy seems to be my scores and grades. It seems to be my report card written by my dear teacher. Numbers float in front of my eyes, combining with tears that burst out of my eyes. I know that I’m in trouble again. Every single time, my self-esteem vanished as I saw my ugly grades. People judge me on them. But after time, it didn't matter anymore; I started to recognize who the real enemy is. Realizing, also as my grades rising.

Teenagers like me, all cares about their appearance and their relationships. Do I look perfect? How does he\she feels about me? That’s pretty much the most common questions that hovered in my mind. Confidence is often left out as I answer these questions. It lingers at the question mark, wanders to the tip of my tongue, but soon be swallowed by my “unsure”, which was created by the fear of others’ judgments. Doubts suck my ability out like vampires; give me neither chance nor choice, leaving me in the terrifying dark. They lead me to mistakes, stupid mistakes. Things that I should have done right were ruined because I started questioning myself about my move. Then, it’s all too late to regret, people don’t care about your first thoughts, they only see the result--- succeeded or failed. Failure collided with me, arouse my hate, the hate of everyone and everything. Until one day, stress built to the highest spot, stimulates my brain to start working. Who is the one that cause so many mistakes? Who created this doubt? Who made my rage rose? And, who is my real enemy? Refuse to believe, but at last, the answer popped out. It’s nobody else, but me, myself.

In the dark, you stopped breathing. Here you are facing your biggest enemy; you tighten your weapon in your hands, ready to fight till death to kill him\her. You choked, not because you found out that the hole never ends, but because you found out that the person that turned around, the one that you’re about to kill, was someone that you’d never expected nor suspected. It’s you facing you. Your enemy is always there, so close, but you’d never realize the truth. There’s nobody else there.

Keep hope and believes alive.