Pastor's Life Long Dream | Teen Ink

Pastor's Life Long Dream

By karen palencia BRONZE, San Fernando, California
karen palencia BRONZE, San Fernando, California

My Pastor and I have known each other for about 3 years now and since the day I met him, I’ve known that he is a diligent worker. He came to this country from El Salvador at a young age in order to fulfil many of his dreams. He took part of the whole ‘come to the U.S for a better life’ scene. And according to him a ‘better life’ is becoming a motorcycle mechanic.

Since childhood, he “always dreamt to become a mechanic... a motorcycle mechanic.”, he said with a smile that stretched from ear to ear after reminiscing through his past. This aspiration of his brought many great possibilities for him and his family. He traveled to America to obtain to get 5 thousand dollars to start his own mechanic shop. In fact, his most joyous memory of coming to America would have to be when he started working at a mechanic shop and making money. Since he had longed of coming here to work he found happiness in knowing that he accomplished his dreams. When he earned money through his job he realized the American Dream. He presumes , “The American dream is sometimes possible if you work hard, otherwise there is no dream”.

The American Dream for him consisted of working arduously and to have that pay off. To him helping his family in El Salvador by shipping them money payed off. Another one of his childhood desired included finishing high school. When he came to America, he accomplished that. Since he didn’t have those opportunities in El Salvador he felt extreme gratitude for being able to attain these dreams in America.

What a lot of people migrate to America for is to start a family and for their children to have a more successful future than they did. He, like the vast majority of people wanted his own house to raise a family in and have a stable future. And lastly, the dream that stuck with him throughout most of his life was to become a pastor and one day have a prosperous congregation.