I Am Not "Emo" | Teen Ink

I Am Not "Emo"

October 2, 2014
By NormalDayNightmare GOLD, Caledonia, Other
NormalDayNightmare GOLD, Caledonia, Other
15 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Music is free therapy."- Alan Ashby
"I am an adult man. Do not bring me into the tumblr world of relationships."- Aaron Pauley


***Warning, this will be a rant! You have been warned***

So, I am standing in the hallway of my school today and I am talking to my best friend and she is wearing a band shirt, a Falling in Reverse shirt to be exact, and we were talking about bands and quotes/ song lyrics we like by them, when some girl who I don't even know that could be in the same grade or possibly lower (I don't know who she was or what grade she was in) and she said "why do you guys like those kinds of bands, are you emo or something?" we didn't respond and she walked away. So, I am here to explain that "emo" isn't a thing, yes society judges people who wears eyeliner or listens to My Chemical Romance as "emo" and honestly, it's 2014, how do we classify someone as emo now? Yes, I love My Chemical Romance and I don't wear eyeliner but I wish I did and just because me and my friend listen to these bands who have long hair and wear eyeliner/ makeup doesn't mean they are emo. Why should I be classified as emo when I listen to far better music than One Direction or Selena Gomez and because I wear black. This is exactly like calling someone gay because they like a different sport or they are wearing a pink shirt, it doesn't make them gay, they are expressing their feelings through a different matter. I express my feelings through my writing and my clothing (which happens to include a lot of black) and my music which I love. So don't go around calling people "emo" or "goth" or "gay" because they look different from you. Those words will stick with them for the rest of their lives and you are the one to blame for that. So think about that the next time you are about to call me emo or am about to call my music gay because it's different from yours.

Sincerly,

TheGingerPrincess

And now that I have that off my chest, it is time to go back to listening to Fall Out Boy and freaking out about adorable cats on Google Images!!!


The author's comments:

Don't call me emo because I'm not. Just because I listen to different music than you doesn't make me a different human than you. What if I called you "pop-lover" because you liked pop music? How would that make you feel?