Public School and Homeschool...Is there really a difference? | Teen Ink

Public School and Homeschool...Is there really a difference?

By Niyaroo PLATINUM, Colonial Beach, Virginia
Niyaroo PLATINUM, Colonial Beach, Virginia

Today in our society I think when we hear the word "homeschool" you automatically think of the Duggars, but that's not what homeschooling is; different people homeschool their kids for different reasons. 

I've  been homeschooled since I as 8 years old. To be honest, I don't see much of a difference compared to going to a public school. The only difference would be location. Like you going to class at your school building and me doing my homework on my bed. A lot of my work is independent. Meaning, I'm in charge of making sure I complete ALL my homework. If I have trouble understanding something my mom helps me out. 

Now just because I'm homeschooled doesn't mean I enjoy it all the time. The main reason for that is my social life: I have friends but not "enough" friends who are my age.  Luckily, my parents were able to understand where I was coming from, and set me straight. My dad has to constantly remind me that school is for learning purposes ONLY and friends can come later.

Basically, in other words, I need to keep my focus my main focus: education. Because having a high social status in high school won't get me a degree in college. And being homeschooled helps me stayed focus on my work and not worry about the everyday high school drama, which in the real world are the most ridiculous things to care about.