Miss Going Fishing | Teen Ink

Miss Going Fishing

By Kaylee Griffith BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Kaylee Griffith BRONZE, Olney, Illinois

“Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light,” (Said) by the famous Helen Keller. Back in 2005, all was going well, I was always fishing and going hunting with my grandpa. He was always with me, we did everything together. But then I started becoming shy and it did not help when the only person I associated with became ill. I was six years old when my grandpa died, and it all went downhill from there. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I overcame my shyness.
Helen Keller up until she was two years old saw and heard the world. Then Helen suddenly became blind and deaf and all of that was taken away from her. Can you imagine seeing and hearing everything and then the lights just turn out for good? Helen had been through several people trying to teach her and then came along Annie. Annie and Helen, you could say hated each other at the beginning. But then Helen started trusting Annie and Helen learned to obey Annie. One important thing that Annie taught Helen was to communicate not through words but through her hands.
I myself  had to overcome an obstacle like Helen, I had to overcome my shyness. 
Up until I was five years old I was a grandpa’s girl. I was clung to his side, we were like two peas in a pod, always riding side by side. But then he became very ill and I turned into a turtle always hiding in my shell, the only time I came out was when I saw my grandpa. Then one day he called us all to the hospital, he wanted to see the kids. So, we went to the hospital and saw him and later that day he passed on. He held on one more time to say goodbye. Then you could say I lost my best friend and I just stopped talking anyone for the longest time. But my dad and I became very close one day out fishing. We connected just like my grandpa and I did. Then I started coming out of my shell again.
Helen and I have similar obstacles  because we both went through the stage without communicating. Helen could not talk because she was blind and deaf but not only that, she did not try to either, I became to the point where I would only talk to my grandpa which did not do me any good. Very much like Helen was always calling for her mother, I was always calling for my grandpa. We are alike because I always had to be around my grandpa like Helen had to be around her mother. So with that being said I think Helen and I are alike.
I had overcome my shyness much like Helen had overcame not being able to communicate. I learned that it does not matter whether you are blind or deaf in Helen’s case both you can still communicate. I learned from myself that you do not have to be afraid to be yourself around anyone, if they do not like you that is their problem. I learned to move on without my grandpa because he is never coming back. I did not want this to be our last goodbye but the first of many hello’s.