My Obstacle | Teen Ink

My Obstacle

By Emily Hazel BRONZE, Onley, Illinois
Emily Hazel BRONZE, Onley, Illinois

Helen Keller once said “The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart”. When I was eight or nine I learned how to ride a bike. The reason I learn how to ride my bike was because of my dad. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I overcame my obstacle of not being able to ride a bike.

Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate. When Helen was a baby, she became ill and that caused her to go blind and deaf. Helen’s parents hired Anne Sullivan to teach Helen how to communicate. Anne was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language to overcome her obstacle of not being able to communicate.

Like Helen I overcame an obstacle too. My obstacle was not being able to ride a bike. I overcame my obstacle because my dad taught me how to ride a bike. The first time I tried I crashed into my dad’s car. The second time I fell over and my dog licked my face to see if I was ok. The third time I started to go, but I did not know how to stop. The fourth and last time I learned how to stop by pressing the brakes on the handlebars.

Although our obstacles are different they share some similarities. We both had to overcome something that we did not know how to do. Helen had someone teach her and I also had someone teach me. That is how our obstacles are similar.

Helen Keller overcame not being able to communicate, and I overcame not being able to ride a bike. What I learned from Helen Keller’s experience is, even if you can not do something you should try it anyways. What I learned from my experience is even if you fail you should keep trying till you get it right. “Work hard for what you want because it won't come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.”