Taking the Wheels Off | Teen Ink

Taking the Wheels Off

By Alyssa Rennier BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Alyssa Rennier BRONZE, Olney, Illinois

A quote by Helen Keller said “The best things and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart”. On a sunny afternoon in Houston, Texas stood a very nervous five year old girl in her driveway, while her dad, Russell Rennier was taking off the training wheels on her pink glittery Barbie bike. Much like Helen Keller overcame her of not being able to communicate, I too overcame my obstacle of riding my bike without the training wheels.

Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate. When Helen was a baby just about to start talking she got sick and became blind and deaf. The Keller’s did not know what to do, so they hired Ms. Annie Sullivan to come and teach Helen. Annie was able to successfully teach Helen, first to trust, then obedience, and finally language to help overcome Helen’s obstacle.

Like Helen Keller I also had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was riding my bike without training wheels. My dad said it was time to ride my bike without the help of the training wheels, so one day when I came home from school my dad had my bike out and tools to help take the wheels off. First, my dad put me on my bike and helped me keep my balance. Once I had my balance he showed me how to use the brakes without throwing myself off the bike.

Although our obstacles were different we share a few similarities. Helen Keller and I both struggled because we were both young, Helen was almost about to talk and I was five, we depended on the help of others. Helen Keller had to have Annie come and teach her, I had to have Russell help me. So, we both had to have someone teach us, we could not do it on our own.

Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too overcame my obstacle of riding a bike without the training wheels. I learned from Helen’s experience to never give up hope for the future, no matter what gets in your way. I learned from my experience that nothings impossible, you just have to focus on the good, life without struggle is no life. A quote by Wilma Rudolph said “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome”.