The Art of Now | Teen Ink

The Art of Now

By saachi BRONZE, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
saachi BRONZE, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

As humans, we strive for instant gratification. In a recent study titled “Life in the Fast Lane,” 85% of the surveyed adults were discovered to have suffered from indigestion. This was attributed to the fact that these adults spent a mere fifteen to twenty minutes eating dinner. Eating too fast can lead to excessive discomfort following a meal. Ouch! Moreover, it can prevent one from enjoying the gastronomical delight of their cuisine. Strict deadlines, stressful jobs, and stringent expectations have rendered the concept of ‘taking things slowly’ virtually obsolete. As a collective species, humans struggle to truly value the present. Shaped by society’s fast-paced attitude, we fail to appreciate the minute details that define our current state. Instead, the future tends to bog us down. Contrary to homo sapiens, one unique inhabitant of Earth’s biosphere provides a precedent for the timeless, yet imperative, cliché of living in the moment.

Moving at an average speed of 0.15 miles per hour, the three-toed sloth is the world’s slowest mammal by far. He is so sedentary that algae find refuge on his furry, green-tinted coat. The sloth is adapted for life in the treetops of South America’s rainforests. Long arms, sturdy claws, and agility characterize his Olympian-like physique. He leads a solitary life and only descends from the canopy for an occasional bathroom break or swim. Yet he is content. Distinct facial coloring outlining a permanent smile provides proof. The three-toed sloth acquires mutualistic relationships with sloth moths and beetles. The insects eliminate stray objects from the sloth’s fur whilst feeding upon the nutrients of his defecation and secretions. His gentle progression through the branches allows a cultivation of relationships which cannot be established with speedy tree dwellers such as spider monkeys. Like a newborn baby, the mammal sleeps for more than fifteen hours each day. Still, these prolonged naps have two discrete purposes: they are a defense mechanism to avoid predators and they allow digestion due to the sloth’s slow metabolism. Humans, in contrast, seem like insomniacs. We strive but often fail in attaining more than the crucial seven hours of rest. In addition, the few hours we take to digest our food is overshadowed by the week it takes for the sloth’s meal to journey through his tract.

Unfortunately, the term “sloth” is defined as the reluctance to work or make an effort. Even his name is a deadly sin. Further, the Greek Goddess of sloth, Aergia, was said to guard the Underworld and was resented by her peers. Society has characterized the sloth as idle. As if he has no purpose. However, the three-toed sloth’s sedate movements should not be mistaken for laziness or wastefulness as promoted by humans. His physical evolution should not diminish his value in the ecosystem either. Imagine if we could treasure the steady flow of being like the sloth. We can simply never be our best when we hurtle through time.

Fast, quick, instantly- these words dictate modern society. The focus of our lives has been reduced to short-term goals, rather than the long-term quality of life. Everyone seeks to accomplish objectives within sight. Whether it be catching the bus, purchasing the new iPhone, or reaching home in time to catch a television show, there is an expectation to lead a fast-paced life. It is no wonder that fast food has become a ubiquitous aspect of our culture. Ultimately, we will fail to experience living if we continue to value its quantitative data in materialism above its qualitative data in moments. Nature can provide us an example to model ourselves after. We simply need to look up to appreciate each second’s joy. The sloth paints an enlightening portrait: the art of now.

Works Consulted
Holdrege, Craig. "What Does It Mean to Be a Sloth?" The Nature Institute. The Nature Institute,
2009. Web. 9 Nov. 2014.
Marsh, Beezy. "Are You Living Life Too Fast?" Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers, n.d.
Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Milius, Susan. “Sloths, moths, algae may live in three-way benefit pact: insects and green slime
may explain why the slow mammals make risky trips to the ground.” Science News.
General OneFile. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
Milius, Susan. “Upside down and can’t throw up.” Science News. General OneFile. Web. 11
Nov. 2014.
"Three-Toed Sloth." National Geographic. National Geographic Society, 1 Jan. 2013. Web. 9
Nov. 2014.

s123 said...
this is great!

cheesypie said...
this is a great allegory for how we live too fast!