Scars. | Teen Ink

Scars.

By sarahwithasmile BRONZE, Pune, Other
sarahwithasmile BRONZE, Pune, Other

Art is the way to lose yourself and find yourself at the same time.

I have been a victim of bullying, like several others. No, I haven't ever cut myself or become suicidal because of it, but still, it pained me and it pains me till this day.

I'd a girl in my class in first grade who hadn't gained control over the urge to urinate.My classmates always used to laugh at her and call her disgusting.She was always on the verge of tears, although the only person to notice it was me.The teachers, at least, should've been more mature, but even they thought of her helplessness as a nuisance and scolded her for it.They least cared if a pupil was feeling bullied and worse yet, unloved.What could she do about something which was out of her control?Once, her peers decided to play a (cruel) prank on her. They poured water on her sitting place in the classroom during lunch break.She was obviously absent when this took place.When everyone returned for the next period, some of the devilish children told their teacher that the girl had pissed on her bench.They started snickering when the poor girl noticed how she was trapped in a cruel joke.The teacher scolded her in front of the whole class.That girl felt very anxious.She looked like a deer caught in headlights."I didn't do it miss!", she repeated again and again, but to no avail.Everyone was sneering at her.They started whispering to her in a chorus 'you are a miss-piss', which made her more mortified than ever.

Poor girl!I could only imagine what pain her heart must have felt when blamed for something which wasn't her fault.She became silent, almost mute from that day onwards.She had told of it at home and her parents had come to meet the class teacher, but to no avail.No one let her play on the school's slides or swings.If ever she sat there, they pushed her down.They twisted her skinny arms never included her in anything.The teachers started calling her abnormally shy and repeatedly reminded her of her shyness.One of the teachers took to harshly hitting her every time she made a mistake.She started dreading that subject.Her legs used to shake at the prospect of facing that teacher.As a result, she started failing in that subject.The vile teacher admonished her , calling her slow and dumb.She yearned for friends as she watched her classmates play and make merry.But she was always pushed away from them, just because she was shy and meek and not talkative enough.She grew up to hate herself in her adolescence.People wondered over her lack of ever talking and often pointed it out to her in not very pleasant manners.She became scrawny and started feeling self conscious.She responded negatively to the bodily changes within her.The prospect of going to school brought heaviness in her legs and dread in her chest.She gained control over her urge to pee, but she struggled with loneliness and depression along with anxiety.The incidences from her childhood left scars on her mind which would take a long time to heal.But she ended her school with 95.82% average and a renewed self esteem.She performed excellently in spite of all those struggles.It is still painful for her today to step outside her house, but she is healing.

She knows that her life will be changed for good with her will to prosper and not others' taunts or comments.

This is inspired from Judy blanco's book, 'please stop laughing at me.' Cheers to all those who were strong enough to endure bullying and chose to move on.